Staff Applications Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future! At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than just code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people invent, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need authentic talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Dolby is now defining High Dynamic Range (HDR) Imaging systems for delivering breathtaking experiences in the Cinema, in the home and on the go, with the new video technology, Dolby Vision.
For the Engineer with a passion for video technology and customer focused work, this is an amazing opportunity to step into our newly crafted Applications Engineering role. In this Staff level position in either SF or Sunnyvale, you will have the opportunity to showcase your breadth of video or image post processing knowledge, experience in the semiconductor/SoC world, and extraordinary customer service skills, by analyzing, resolving and recommending options to help our customers get the most out of Dolby’s products.
Your primary mission will be to support Dolby Vision implementations with our customers. Bring your fluency with C/C++, coupled with low level driver development experience and DSP knowledge, with a well-developed understanding of porting video codecs, to deliver on our goals of first class customer satisfaction. You will be a core member of the implementation team, who will help TV and Set-top-box SoC manufacturers to design, build, and test the integration of Dolby Vision technology into their solutions.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead generously as a guide on Dolby Vision Technology. Maintain technical proficiency in areas related to Dolby Vision businesses and serve as a technical adviser and domain authority to a variety of teams throughout the company.
- Interpret generally defined internal policies and apply deep technical knowledge to support Dolby licensees on correctly integrating Dolby Vision into their solutions.
- Work regularly with multi-functional teams across Dolby as the “voice of the customer” providing feedback on and driving advancements to Dolby’s licensing work you’re doing.
- You will provide the cornerstone support to Licensees and internal field technical teams to facilitate Dolby’s technology licensing program using a diplomatic, professional and customer service oriented approach.
- Assist Dolby Licensees with defining solutions in the process of integration of Dolby technology and approval evaluations.
- Support the evaluation and approval of Dolby Licensed Implementations by confirming the accuracy of test results and producing professional, accurate written reports that communicate the conformance of these implementations compared with the established requirements.
- Work with product managers and engineering teams on the development and maintenance of licensing work.
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar and 5-7 years of engineering experience in consumer electronics or related fields.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams to achieve goals.
- Strong problem-solving abilities when working on complex technical problems.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Ability to adapt communication approach in an astute manner in order to work and solve technical problems collectively across a wide range of skill levels, cultures and backgrounds.
- Impeccable integrity and the ability to handle situations involving complicated, high-pressure legal or business relationships, as well as sensitive, confidential information.
- Occasional international travel is required for this position.
- Some experience in a customer support role is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of MPEG2-TS, MP4, RTP streaming, HDMI and Vx1 interface is highly desirable.
- Experience with Digital Signal Processing for consumer electronics is desirable.
- Related experience in several of the following areas: DSP algorithm porting, optimization and integration; Embedded Systems design; Software for embedded processors; Computer and Operating system architecture; DSP architectures and their multimedia frameworks; ARM toolchain; technology licensing; IP-based content delivery and playback products.
- Interest in music, audio/video production, recording engineering, game/film audio or video highly desirable.
If you love working in a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment, where there is excellent opportunity for growth, this is the perfect opportunity. The sky’s the limit!
- Dolby is very proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top