Staff Applications Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Now Dolby is defining High Dynamic Range (HDR) Imaging systems for delivering breathtaking experiences in the Cinema, in the home and on the go, with the new video technology, Dolby Vision.
The Dolby Vision Implementation Engineer will be a core member of implementation support team, focused on helping TV and Set-top-box SoC manufacturers to design, build, and test the integration of Dolby Vision technology into their solutions.
This position can be based in either San Francisco or Sunnyvale.
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead generously as an expert on Dolby Vision Technology. Maintain technical proficiency in areas related to Dolby Vision businesses and serve as a technical adviser and domain expert to a variety of teams throughout the company.
- Interpret generally defined internal policies and apply deep technical knowledge to support Dolby licensee on correctly integrating Dolby Vision into their solutions.
- Work regularly with cross-functional teams across Dolby as the “voice of the customer” providing feedback on and driving improvements to Dolby’s licensing deliverables.
- Provide support to Licensees and internal field technical teams to facilitate Dolby’s technology licensing program using a diplomatic, professional and service-oriented approach.
- Assist Dolby licensees with troubleshooting and finding solutions in the process of integration of Dolby technology and approval evaluations.
- Support the evaluation and approval of Dolby Licensed Implementations by confirming the accuracy of test results and producing professional, accurate written reports that communicate the conformance of these implementations compared with the established requirements.
- Work with product managers and engineering teams on the development and maintenance of licensing deliverables.
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or similar and 7-10 years of engineering experience in consumer electronics or related fields. Master’s degree holders in related disciplines with 5-7 years of such experience will also be considered.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with cross-functional teams to achieve goals.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities when working on complex problems.
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills.
- Ability to adapt communication approach in an astute manner in order to work and solve technical problems collaboratively across a wide range of skill levels, cultures and backgrounds.
- Impeccable integrity and the ability to handle situations involving complicated, high-pressure legal or business relationships, as well as sensitive, confidential information.
- Occasional international travel is required for this position.
- Some experience in a customer support role is desirable.
- Fluency in programming languages especially C/C++, Python and/or Java.
- Hands on experience on Embedded software development on SoC for real time video encoder or decoder solution.
- Knowledge of MPEG2-TS, MP4, RTP streaming, HDMI and Vx1 interface is highly desirable.
- Experience with Digital Signal Processing for consumer electronics is desirable.
- Related experience in several of the following area: DSP algorithm porting, optimization and integration; Embedded Systems design; Software for embedded processors; Computer and Operating system architecture; DSP architectures and their multimedia frameworks; ARM toolchain; technology licensing; IP-based content delivery and playback products.
- Interest in music, audio/video production, recording engineering, game/film audio or video highly desirable.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top