Sr. Staff Mechanical Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
At Dolby, we are creating spectacular user experiences at the intersection of science and art. Located in our new campus in the heart of San Francisco, you will work with world class innovators in an environment that feature our top-tier laboratories and the latest equipment to advance the science of sight and sound. As we continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment experiences we need the absolute best talent. You will join a team working on high impact strategic programs in an internal start-up environment.
As a Senior Staff Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible to develop mechanical designs that enable the next generation of immersive entertainment experiences created by Dolby. The candidate hired for this position will be part of an engineering team based in San Francisco that works with innovative technologies in a fast-paced and creative environment. This is an ideal opportunity for someone with a passion for technology and who possesses a deep and proven understanding of the principles that underpin good mechanical design and can creatively employ these principles effectively through the design process.
- Lead the mechanical system design effort from early prototyping through mass production
- Work closely with industrial design to enable novel and producible solutions
- Oversee the mechanical design execution with internal, subcontract and supplier resources
- Initiate and manage contracts with external engineering resources including the negotiation of Service agreements and Statements of Work
- Research, explore & prove out emerging technologies, materials, components and processes for inclusion in future projects
- Effectively employ written and verbal communications to collaborate with team members to achieve project goals.
- Prepare reports and demos to keep the team up to date with the mechanical developments
To be successful in this role, you will need skills in designing for high volume consumer electronics products. It will be critical that you have the ability to develop strong working relationships within the core team and to employ excellent communication skills to work cross functionally with other Dolby groups, consultants and suppliers. You will need to have the ability to deal with unexpected challenges in a collaborative and professional manner.
- BSME, MSME or equivalent with at least 10 years of relevant engineering experience.
- 3D CAD design expertise in Solidworks, ProE and/or FX.
- Skill in building and interpreting structural, thermal, vibrational, magnetic and acoustical simulations (linear & non-linear FEA, MATLAB, SPICE, etc.).
- Knowledge of the design of electromechanical assemblies required. Specific experience in acoustic enclosures, transducers and systems would be a plus.
- Knowledge of a broad range of materials and processes: injection molding, rapid prototyping, thermoforming, extrusion, metal forming and a wide range of material finishing.
- Experienced in international collaboration and global project work. Willing to travel internationally in support of project requirements as needed.
- Has an innate interest to stay abreast of new technologies, market trends, changing customer needs and the strategies of competitors.
COME JOIN AN AMAZING TEAM!
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 1
Back to top