Sr Patent Administrator
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
As a Sr Patent Administrator, you will work in the Patents and Trademarks Group to protect our rights to our innovations. You will be responsible for coordinating U.S. and foreign filing and prosecution. You also will be responsible for maintaining docket and filing records, and will monitor critical due dates to insure all deadlines are met. You will work with in-house patent attorneys, other patent administrators, and outside U.S. and foreign associates and must have the ability to effectively communicate information related to pending patent applications and matters of U.S. and foreign patent law.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides training and assistance to other group members
- Independently completes assignments, including, participation in projects of diverse scope without requiring detailed instructions
- Independently analyzes current in-house prosecution practices, collaborates with the groups to develop improved practices, and clearly documents such practices
- Researches, selects, and evaluates factors from multiple sources in the context of managing projects related to the patent portfolio
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive experience of all aspects of U.S. patent prosecution and U.S. patent portfolio management.
- Interprets generally defined practices and methods to develop specific practices and methods for patent projects
- Initiate filing of PCT and foreign patent applications
- Initiate filing of U.S. patent applications
- Review patent correspondence, extract relevant information and coordinate disposition
- Maintain docket of prosecution deadlines
- Maintain records related to prosecution of patent applications
- Coordinate and manage special projects related to Dolby's world-wide patent portfolio
- Prepare legal documents for U.S. and international patent filings
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education Required
- B.A. or B.S. degree or the equivalent in experience
- At least 5-7+ years of combined U.S. and foreign filing experience
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. and international patent filing procedures and rules
- Experience with docket management software, preferably Anaqua
- Ability to read, understand, extract and input relevant information accurately from legal documents
- The ability and willingness to learn new software applications
- Proven ability to work independently in meeting firm deadlines with precision and accuracy
- Strong oral, written and organizational skills
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Back to top