Sr Manager, Labour & Employee Relations
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This is an opportunity to establish the Employee Relations (ER) specialism for our European business and drive implementation of best practice. The core goals include ensuring handling of complex ER cases in a fair and consistent manner that promotes a positive employee relations culture and maintains employees' well-being, minimises risk and maintains compliance (including data privacy, etc). Whilst taking the lead and "owning" the overall approach to all labour law matters across Europe this role will consider both global and local needs, build strong partnership with local HR Business Partners and US corporate functions / regional based HR colleagues to enable and support a proactive approach to any ER related change programmes within their client groups.
Reporting to the HR Director, Europe as part of the HR Business Partner Team this role will contribute to the achievement of business results by effectively integrating and applying Europe wide ER knowledge and expertise to identify ER trends and recommend proactive interventions to minimise risk.
- Develop and build awareness of Dolby's approach to labour relations across Europe and, whilst keeping with local laws and practice, balance both global and local cultures and needs.
- Act as the primary HR interface with the Works Council in Germany on labour relations matters and their interactions with the Managing Director, US and Europe based specialists
- Oversee relations with staff delegates and other labour representatives that exist across Europe and, as needed, lead negotiations and/or be responsible for internal coordination to support collective consultations and negotiations.
- Monitor relevant employment legislative developments in Europe and evaluate business impact, sharing own knowledge and expertise with business and HR leadership.
- Working in close collaboration with HR Business Partners and Line Managers follow through with Line Managers issues identified / escalated during consultations with HR Business Partners.
- Lead investigations on employee relations matters in partnership with Legal and other compliance teams, liaising with HR colleagues and line managers to assemble factual evidence and preparation of documentation and ensuring best practice is applied. Build awareness of lessons learnt across line management and the HR community.
- Maintain an organized case management system, including key metrics and dashboards and highlight lessons learnt to HR Business Partners and Leaders
- Assess Europe wide labour/employee relations and data protection risks based on current and anticipated changes to regulatory landscape; consult with HR leadership, Internal and External Legal Specialists as required.
- Understand, interpret and analyse changes in UK and European wide Employment law and consult with others as required to develop proactive solutions whilst maintaining compliance
- Proactively build strong relationships with key stakeholders in US and Europe as a means of ensuring compliance requirements in Europe are given due consideration and global requirements are effectively balanced with impact of data privacy prior to rollout of global systems and projects.
- Identify and quantify risks and advise the business accordingly, partnering with Legal and other specialists on compliance issues as needed e.g. implications of GDPR
- Collaborate with leaders and HR teams to align on trends and work together in enabling a positive, fair and productive work environment for all employees
Qualifications and Skills:
- 10+ years' working knowledge and experience of UK and multi country Europe wide employment, labour and data protection regulations including e.g. GDPR and partnering with Europe wide external lawyers as needed
- Demonstrated success negotiating with works councils in Germany and employee representatives in other European countries. Strong relationship management skills to go along with that experience.
- Knowledge of enterprise software systems and IT security concepts (related to data protection and impact of GDPR, etc.).
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think strategically about programs, processes, people, and risk.
- Strong international cultural awareness with ability to interact effectively and quickly establish professional credibility with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels; demonstrate personal gravitas, ability to challenge and coach senior stakeholders where necessary.
- Highly analytical thinker who uses good reasoning and sound judgement to make objective informed decisions.
- A strong team player with an enthusiastic "Can-Do" approach, comfortable working in an international business with matrix structures and able to demonstrate an understanding of different cultures and management practices
- Exemplary written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Microsoft Office skills.
- Fluent in English and German; other European languages (particularly French) very beneficial
- Regular travel across Europe required (50% +) and occasionally to US.
- Bachelor's degree or work equivalent required; European Employment Law or other relevant degree preferred
- Professional certification such as CIPD or similar employment related certification together with International/ European wide Employment Law specialist knowledge preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top