Sr Forensics Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Dolby Laboratories creates technologies that enhance the entertainment experience. For four decades, Dolby has defined high-quality audio and surround sound in cinema, broadcast, home entertainment systems, cars, games, and personal computers. Dolby has a brand that is well recognized all over the world. Our brand represents quality in entertainment technologies. Our future success depends to a great extent upon our ability to rigorously protect this brand by safeguarding the intellectual property underlying it. Consistent with our brand protection policies, we require close monitoring of all licensees to ensure that they comply fully with the terms of our licensing agreements – and that we receive all royalties due.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Forensic Engineering in our San Francisco headquarters, the Sr. Forensics Engineer will be a key part of the technical team responsible for worldwide compliance and enforcement.
This individual will work closely with Dolby’s IP Protection Group to prevent licensing and trademark infringement in the market by making sure our customers comply with our licensing agreements. To that end we have developed several programs that enable us to monitor the marketplace by efficiently managing and analyzing large amounts of market data. In addition, we ensure our policies are effective by working closely with Retail, Customs, Industry Associations, Law Enforcement and Trade Show administrators.
The Sr. Forensics Engineer will be responsible for performing strategic analysis of available information and statistics (both internal and external) to guide field audits and tradeshow IP Protection efforts, leveraging Dolby centric technical expertise and partnering with colleagues as needed. The position will also act as a technical resource across the larger IPP organization and external partners. The individual will interact regularly with global compliance personnel, auditors, and other compliance stakeholders worldwide in support of our global brand protection activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Audit support:
- Pre-audit analysis –provide strategic product analysis of licensees selected for audits, diligence on cross sales of and between components/technologies of licensees and their related entities under review
- In field support – onsite and offsite assistance in support of product sample/spec testing in the course of audit fieldwork, provision of product knowledge and expertise in support of audits
- Post-audit analysis – product testing and technology assessment for negotiation purposes
- Trade show and Enforcement
- Perform market research to identify infringement or non-compliance across Dolby’s ecosystem
- Attend trade shows, identifying infringing products and unlicensed entities
- Identify, procure and test samples to identify infringement and gather intelligence
- Contribute to IP Protection Strategy planning
- Perform macro level analysis across product segments, to identify non-compliance and potential opportunities.
- Implement process improvements, to increase efficiently and accuracy.
- Train others on new technologies as needed, working across IPP to develop comprehensive enforcement plan.
- Assisting software compliance lead in assessing third party solutions with respect to preventive compliance, such as encryption, locking, tracking, tracing, monitoring technologies and mechanisms
- Assist in technical supervision and education of other Dolby products and services.
- Train compliance and audit personnel on Dolby products as needed
- BSEE and at least 5 years of relevant work experience in forensic engineering, failure investigation or Intellectual Property protection desired.
- Strong analytical skills, with demonstrated experience performing data analysis and trending is highly desired.
- Experience with testing consumer oriented audio/video products such as TVs, STBs, DMAs, mobile phones and tablets is highly desired. Requires familiarity with Dolby products and technologies.
- Must have an aptitude for mechanical engineering and familiarity with product teardown. Knowledge of electrical components and paths in a typical mix facility. Must possess a basic understanding of standard analog and digital recording equipment.
- Understanding of iOS, Android and Windows operating systems is desired. Experience debugging or testing of the Audio/Video system is preferred.
- Solid understanding of Tier 1 Consumer Electronics distribution channels is preferred.
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to work autonomously with a geographically distributed team.
- Keen understanding of technology in the context of intellectual property.
- Strong ability to think independently and deeply about problems/solutions.
- Ability to work effectively across functions to achieve goals established in a team environment.
- Strong written communication skills – ability to articulate verbally and in writing technical issues to stakeholders.
- Flexibility in day-to-day work. Must be willing to work flexible hours, and work late on short notice.
- Diligent, deadline oriented
- International travel required up to 25% of the time
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Back to top