Sr. Finance Director, APAC
Based in the APAC/Japan region's Beijing office, the Senior Finance Director, APAC/Japan will be responsible for all financial operations in the regions along with overseeing compliance with the company's controls and local compliance efforts in a number of jurisdictions. The position will report directly to the Corporate Finance organization at Dolby headquarters in San Francisco. This key role will direct responsibilities for the finance management covering the business divisions operating in the region. Regional offices may include, but not limited to: Beijing, Shenzhen, Seoul, Singapore, Mumbai, Tokyo, Sydney. She/he will partner closely with the regional leadership and other functional leads in the region to support the business and drive a consistent and comprehensive compliance and control environment.
Reports to: VP Finance, located in San Francisco
Direct reports: Finance team members (10-12 members)
- Established record of driving compliance and financial oversight for regional operations in today's fast-paced business environment
- Ability to work cross functionally to drive compliance with laws and effective controls (business & financial)
- Experience with business partnership in the APAC/Japan region
- Industry experience closely aligned with Dolby's business
- Strong experience with finance functions – financial controls including SOX, Accounting, Tax, Audit and Business Support in the region
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Strong cultural fit - collaborative and supportive attitude
- Take responsibility for regional oversight and compliance with controls and local laws, including driving cross-functional alignment within the broader organization.
- Oversee and participate in the full range of financial functions including day-to-day payroll & vendor payments, tax, treasury, financial reporting, business support, SOX & maintain internal controls, and corporate governance.
- Evaluate recommendations and implement policies, procedures, systems and personnel assignments related to the company's accounting/finance organization in various countries in the region.
- Local contact for the Company's banking, auditing, payroll processing, bookkeeping and tax preparer relationships.
- Be a member of the APAC Management and strategy team and participate in the development of the strategy for the regions business activities and the organization as a whole.
- Provide business and operational support to regional sales management through annual and quarterly budgeting and forecasting processes. Provide management with timely analytical reports on business performance against budget and forecast.
- Anticipate business requirements, trends, and variances; develop action plans; measure and analyse results; initiate corrective actions; minimize the impact of negative variances.
- Partner with regional management to support new business model initiatives, non-standard business deals, M&A activities and new business operation set up;
- Advise and assist local management team in implementing business strategy, corporate objectives, funding arrangements and any other potential ad hoc processes.
- Ensure the development and implementation of effective tax planning procedures, and preparation of corporate income tax returns to ensure compliance with legislative requirements and minimise corporate tax expense;
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- More than 20 years of financial leadership experience in US and APAC corporate, accounting matters and business support matters
- Proven record of overseeing local compliance efforts and maintaining effective controls (both financial and business)
- Knowledge of US GAAP and local accounting, tax & statutory requirements, Sarbanes-Oxley
- Strong leadership skills
- Hands-on experience in region & preferably in China
- Experience supporting a sales organization at the highest levels
- CPA or MBA, preferred
Critical Competencies for Success
- Leadership – Experience having managed complexities of doing business in multiple jurisdictions while overseeing compliance with both US and local laws. He/She will have held a regional leadership position whereby they made or participated on a committee that has made decisions with regard to implementing and maintaining effective controls.
- Strategic/Analytical Thinking - Develop a strategic plan that supports the company's growth vision by:
- Recognising and forecasting key business needs now and into the future as a result of information gained from meeting with operating heads and business leaders.
- Identifying key industry trends through meetings with customers and leaders and advise the senior management team on the financial implications and possible recommendations.
- Translating the analytical findings to other business heads and make recommendations to stay the course or change the strategic direction based on the findings.
- Collaboration/Communication – The successful candidate should be someone with a natural and effective consultative approach that will gain the trust and respect of employees at all levels. She/He should be able to work closely with all the business heads so as to improve the quality of customer service and output by:
- Actively working with others and using team with complementary skills to address problems.
- Communicating regularly with the head office and updating them on all business issues in the region and the latest development in the market.
- Soliciting the opinions of others (including outside his/her own functional area of responsibility).
- Influencing – Influence senior management about major strategic business decisions in a fast-paced regional environment where the competitive landscape is constantly changing and evolving through rigorous analysis, logical, fact based arguments, comprehensive presentations and being able to respond to rapid questioning on the spot.
- Team Leadership – In a fast-paced culture where "financial data" is important and the business is evolving rapidly, lead a high performing regional finance team to produce accurate, timely financial information on both current and future business scenarios by :
- Recruiting or promoting high potential talent and developing others by providing stretch targets and opportunities to lead projects outside the individual's scope of experience.
- Constantly challenging the team to work with their business heads within the region to identify growth opportunities and cost efficient solutions and then proactively present their findings and business case to senior management.
- Positioning the finance function to the rest of the company as an "elite" group of high performing finance professionals who are partners to their local business leaders.
- Setting very clear measurable objectives for the finance team members and regularly reviewing and managing individual's performance via quantifiable metrics and regular one on one feedback sessions.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Strong leadership skills and team player;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and influencing manner with the maturity to operate in an international company and relate to different nationalities, cultures and business practices;
- Ability to engage with key leadership along with good influencing skills thereby able to work collaboratively with business groups across the organization and region.
- Self-starter, proactive, demonstrates sense of urgency and results-orientation;
- Diplomatic and able to execute in a dynamic deadline driven environment;
- Hands on work style
- Speaks fluent English;
The role requires intra-region and overseas travel.
Build your career profile, also within the Careers tab in Employee Central to open the possibility of new opportunities finding you. Express your interest. If you want to express your interest in a specific opportunity and be contacted by a recruiter, click the apply button associated with the relevant job description. The Recruiter is is the only one who will see your application.
Please refer to the recruiting web site for more information: https://dolbyconnect.dolby.net/organization/HR/Pages/recruiting.aspx
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top