Sr. Director, Patent Licensing
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The successful candidate will be an experienced attorney responsible for managing Dolby's established patent licensing programs. He or she must have extensive experience negotiating patent license agreements, including experience with standard essential patents. He or she must also have experience managing a team of highly-skilled and motivated professionals. Job functions include developing global patent licensing strategies and leading the execution of those strategies.
This position reports into the VP, Chief Patent Counsel in our San Francisco Office.
- Identify opportunities for growing and expanding Dolby's established patent licensing programs
- Develop strategies, especially for emerging markets, to extend the licensee base
- Actively manage a team of patent licensing professionals and patent licensing engagements
- Oversee financial forecasting and direct ongoing engagements to meet financial targets
- Collaborate with internal litigation team to develop and support enforcement actions
- Collaborate with internal technical, legal and business stakeholders
- Lead negotiation of significant patent license agreements
- Lead a team of patent licensing attorneys. Coach, develop and mentor team
Skills and Education
- 8-10+ years of experience in a top-tier law firm and preferably some experience working in house
- Juris Doctor degree with outstanding academic credentials
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Self-initiative and ability to work with minimum of direction to meet deadlines
- Superior organization and project management skill
- Must demonstrate trust and credibility
- Leadership acumen, ability to coach, and motivate high performing teams
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience with standards bodies and patent pools
- An EE degree and/or admission to the USPTO bar would be helpful, but are not required
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top