Sr. Content Engineer
- Mumbai, India
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The Content Engineer - India is responsible for the adoption of Dolby Atmos workflows within the content industry in the region, with a focus on mixing and mastering music in the immersive Dolby Atmos format. In addition to independent music production and mixing workflows, a thorough understanding of existing workflows in production, editing, mixing and mastering 5.1 channel and Atmos content for the Indian cinema and OTT production industry is essential. He/she will interface with companies in the music and cinema content creation and delivery ecosystem, Dolby colleagues and other external partners to develop mutually beneficial relationships regarding Atmos production and technology. He will need to train and assist editors, mixing engineers, production houses, post-production facilities, labels, music streaming services and other stakeholders to enable them to produce, post-produce and deliver high quality content (including Atmos music) in Dolby Atmos format.
The candidate needs to have a deep understanding of the market requirements for tools and services used by the post-production industry for the creation, encoding, and delivery of premium content. He/she must also have a thorough understanding of existing workflows in the production of music and cinema/broadcast audio mixing in India. The candidate must possess a keen ability to identify and analyze market needs, as well as quickly grasp and distill highly complex customer pain points, to improve Dolby's Atmos media encoding products and services for immersive content.
The candidate will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams in San Francisco and in other offices of Dolby located worldwide to optimize use of Dolby's professional tools and services, including high-visibility encoding applications that are used by studios, mixing engineers, streaming platforms and other local content producers across the world to create content for streaming services.
The position is based in Mumbai, India, and requires extensive travel.
Essential Job Functions
- Guide content production and post-production studios and companies in creating the setup for recording, editing, mixing and mastering immersive audio & music in Dolby Atmos format.
- Provide recommendations of hardware, equipment and software available which supports or can be configured for immersive audio and music recording, mixing, post-production and mastering.
- Educate and train technical staff from target accounts on techniques for mixing & mastering surround sound and immersive music.
- Establish and maintain relationships with local production and distribution companies in India as well as abroad, including music companies operating in the region. Engage with key content providers (including movie and music production companies and music directors/composers) to enable and scale the availability of Dolby Atmos Music & other Atmos content in India.
- Develop market intelligence on industry decision making that are relevant to Dolby and communicate this intelligence internally.
- Provide the regional input to the product roadmap, market requirements, and life cycle of professional content creation and encoding tools for Dolby Atmos and Atmos music.
- Support projects in other regions within Dolby, on a need basis.
- Identify ecosystem issues (production, encoding, delivery, and playback) and propose possible solutions.
- Assist with development and promotion of instructional and educational material as appropriate to ensure the professional audio and music community understands how to best utilize Dolby tools and workflows for Atmos.
- Candidate should be familiar and have experience with:
- Requirements for post-production studio infrastructure for recording and mixing audio tracks including music tracks in stereo, surround and immersive audio formats with particular focus on Dolby Atmos music.
- Post-production setup/configuration for recording, editing, mixing, mastering and monitoring surround and immersive audio, using hardware from diverse manufacturers and utilizing various digital audio workstations
- Expertise in at least one and familiarity with additional digital audio workstations such as ProTools, Logic, Ableton Live, Nuendo and other tools used for mixing and mastering audio, including music composing, mixing and mastering.
- Candidate should have a deep understanding of the recording, post-production, mixing and mastering value chain for cinematic content including cinema music, as well as for independent music production.
- Must be able to evaluate existing recording and post-production studios equipped for stereo or 5.1 channel recording and mixing and suggest alterations / upgrades / reconfiguration required to enable immersive audio recording, post-production, mixing and monitoring.
- Candidate should have thorough understanding of recording, mixing and mastering in stereo, 5.1 and immersive formats.
- Candidate should have thorough understanding of Dolby Atmos, & the various production and mastering tools for Dolby Atmos.
- Candidate should have an understanding of the design principles and requirements for setting up a mixing, post-production and mastering facility for Dolby Atmos for a home entertainment environment.
- Candidate should have a thorough understanding of the effect of playback under varying consumer-end conditions, including playback in living room environments and mobile devices over speakers or headphones and the steps required to cater for this during content production.
- Should have strong learning skills and be able to grasp and master new technologies via training schedules and self-learning.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently to achieve goals established in a team environment.
- Proven track record of negotiation skills.
- Ability to build and maintain excellent business relationships.
- Strong commercial awareness.
- Good communications skills and an ability to communicate effectively with the target audience, mainly audio mixing engineers, systems integrators and broadcasters.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education Required
- Degree or equivalent in sound / audio engineering with experience in mixing and mastering 5.1 channel surround sound or Dolby Atmos for cinema and/or independent post-production studios.
- 5-7 years' experience in a technical setting preferably in a mixing / mastering facility. Prior experience with Dolby's technologies is preferable but not essential.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team environment with a diverse group of technical staff essential.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and perform under pressure to deliver on committed timelines.
- English language fluency both spoken and written is essential.
Build your career profile, also within the Careers tab in Employee Central to open the possibility of new opportunities finding you. Express your interest. If you want to express your interest in a specific opportunity and be contacted by a recruiter, click the apply button associated with the relevant job description. The Recruiter is the only one who will see your application.
Back to top