Senior Technical Writer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The Senior Technical Writer is independently effective in performing duties common to writers at other levels. Works independently on multiple and/or larger, more complex projects. Works with subject matter experts in Sunnyvale and other Dolby offices worldwide to develop and coordinate approval of task-based information that is structured to maximize reusability. Creates, revises, edits, and designs technical instructions, illustrations, and test documentation. Final deliverable formats include HTML, PDF, online help systems, XML consumed by automated systems, and fill-in forms. Serves as an interdepartmental point person on these activities.
- A Senior Technical Writer’s job functions include independent ownership of content creation for several, large, and/or complex projects.
- Writes and illustrates English-language technical documentation for distribution to Dolby licensees, partners, and end-user customers in collaboration with product development teams.
- Conducts up-front analysis, develops formal use cases, and develops task-based documentation
- Influences the product development process to facilitate upstream content development and content quality.
- Develops documentation plans and manages related tasks in project management scheduling software.
- Establishes understanding and consistent use of processes, tools, inputs, and outputs among all contributors.
- Coordinates reviews, implements comments, facilitates discussion among stakeholders to resolve discrepancies, and secures approval of final documents.
- Conforms to and helps improve and extend standards and processes for content structure, stylistic conventions for writing and illustrating, publishing methodologies, and related tools and infrastructure.
- Communicates effectively in oral and written exchanges among internal and external clients, colleagues, and managers.
- Performs duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or any member of the Dolby management team, subject to approval by direct manager and/or departmental VP.
- Assists team members as needed.
- Performs tasks necessary to complete performance objectives.
- Senior-level positions require a minimum of five years relevant professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years global English-language technical writing experience.
- Five years experience at Dolby or in closely-related technology domains.
- Content Creation: Experience using minimalist writing and structured authoring principles to maximize searchability, filtering, and content reusability across delivery types, products, and versions. Experience designing and writing content using XML, DITA, and content management systems. Further skills in information architecture, XSLT, XSL-FO, OT, HTML, and CSS are desirable.
- Nice to have: oursework and/or professional experience with audio/video codecs and production, hardware, software, or broadcast technologies.Experience with OxygenXML; Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign; Microsoft Visio; Doxygen; DocBooks; project management software; Perforce; software/hardware user interfaces; localization and internationalization of technical communications and software/hardware UIs.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top