Senior Researcher - Sound Technology
- Sydney, Australia
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This position is the Sound Technology Research division of the Advanced Technology Group of Dolby Laboratories (www.dolby.com) in Sydney, Australia. The position focuses on the creation of audio signal processing algorithms and technologies ranging from initial concepts to the development of working prototypes, and supporting engineering teams to implement the prototypes into actual products.
We are looking for a self-motivated, highly talented individual interested in applying his or her skills in technologies involving a fundamental understanding of the way that sound is captured, manipulated, coded, delivered, reproduced and perceived using digital signal processing techniques. The position allows for working in cooperation with other technology developers and researchers within Dolby's global research network and the opportunity to propose, implement and test innovative technologies to facilitate easier content creation and distribution for consumers as well as professionals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Research and algorithm development
- Develop a solid understanding of important technical problems
- Develop algorithms from initial conception to testing in real environments
- Support the integration of algorithms into a larger complex, interconnected system
- Quantify algorithm performance using subjective and objective methods and metrics
- Support the transfer of technology to engineering teams
- Monitor technology trends and publications in own area of expertise
- Software Engineering
- Implement offline and real-time signal processing algorithms
- Collaborate on shared codebases
- Technical Documentation
- Write and maintain detailed technical documentation and research papers
- Protect intellectual property by contributing to a patent portfolio
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. with a focus on audio signal processing or artificial intelligence with focus on audio
- Exposure to audio algorithm development in an industry setting [WR1]
- Solid background in digital audio signal processing, linear algebra, and probability
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, prototype, and collaborate through projects, papers, products, and/or patents
- Demonstrable proficiency in MATLAB, C/C++, Python, and/or Julia
- Fluent in English. Excellent communication skills.
HIGHLY DESIRED SKILLS:
- Technical understanding of and experience with several of the following:
- Audio perception and reproduction, including spatial aspects
- Standard audio algorithms such as filtering, dynamics processing, noise reduction, etc.
- Frequency domain processing
- Speech perception, analysis and processing
- Psychoacoustic models
- Room acoustics
- Signal conditioning and restoration
- Numerical optimization
- Adaptive and statistical signal processing
- Automatic source separation and segmentation
- Statistics, classification, pattern recognition, machine learning, deep learning
- Audio and music content creation tools and workflows
- Experience with real-time implementation of audio algorithms
- Interest in participating in global R&D projects and occasional travel
- Personal interest in audio, music, and entertainment applications
- Critical listening skills
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Back to top