Senior Research Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent, including insatiably curious engineers and scientists for our advanced technology group. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This position is in the Research Organization of Dolby Laboratories (www.dolby.com) and is located in Beijing, China. The position focuses on the creation of audio signal processing technologies including the whole range of research from the underlying theoretical concepts to the development of prototypes that provide a proof of concept. As a part of an international team, the senior staff research engineer will work on ideas exploring new horizons in the audio processing, analysis, replay and organization. The researcher is responsible for performing fundamental new research, transfer technology to product groups, and draft patent applications.
We are looking for a self-motivated, highly talented individual interested in applying his or her skills in technologies involving a fundamental understanding of the way that sound sources (audio and voice) are captured, manipulated, coded, delivered, enhanced and played back using digital signal processing techniques. Applications include pre-processing, coding and post-processing solutions in market areas such as consumer electronics, mobile, broadcast, PC and digital cinema applications and other technologies crucial to Dolby Laboratories’ success. The position involves working in cooperation with other technology developers/researchers within Dolby’s global research network in Australia and the USA, and the opportunity to propose new ideas for further investigation. This requires efficient interactions which different functional divisions within the company.
Education, Skills, Abilities, and Experience:
- Master or Ph.D Degree in Artificial Intelligence, Mathematics, Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, additional work experienced in an industrial research environment desired, but not an absolute prerequisite
- Proven ability to apply pattern recognition and machine learning techniques to research problems related to signal processing technologies, and multimedia data analysis.
- Very good understanding of audio and digital signal processing technologies
- Strong background in theory of machine learning and ability to develop the theory further.
- Demonstrated ability to create fundamentally new, novel (patentable) signal processing technologies and algorithms
- Ability to envision applications of new technologies in the form of innovative product solutions
- Strong innovator
- Proficient in advanced theory and application of audio signal processing techniques
- Highly skilled in C/C++ language and Matlab programming
- Team-oriented work ethic and interest to work in cross-continental teams
- Strong personal interest in sound technologies and in learning, researching, and creating relevant new technologies with high commercial impact
- Independent, self-motivated worker requiring minimal supervision
- Fluent in Chinese and English. Excellent communication skills
- Experience working in a software development team, including software version control tools
- Experience in statistics, decision theory, image retrieval.
- Project leadership skills
- Real-time windows programming
- Interest in participating in global R&D projects and occasional travel
- Real-time audio processing
- Personal interest in audio and entertainment application
Build your career profile, also within the Careers tab in Employee Central to open the possibility of new opportunities finding you. Express your interest. If you want to express your interest in a specific opportunity and be contacted by a recruiter, click the apply button associated with the relevant job description. The Recruiter is is the only one who will see your application.
Please refer to the recruiting web site for more information: https://dolbyconnect.dolby.net/organization/HR/Pages/recruiting.aspx
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top