Senior Manager - Broadcast Solutions Engineering
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
We are looking to hire a Senior Manager – Broadcast Solutions Engineering to provide team, project and technical leadership to support Dolby’s business objectives and Dolby’s broadcast and OTT customers in Europe. This role is in Dolby’s Commercial Partnerships organization.
The primary objective of the role is to help customers deploy and stay on air with error free carriage with Dolby Audio and Video Technologies (mainly Dolby Digital Plus, ATMOS, Dolby AC4 and for distribution, Dolby E). The role involves managing a small team of experienced solution engineers, managing Dolby’s contribution to customer projects. To succeed in this role candidates will require understanding of the broadcast and OTT workflows (HD and UHD) for Audio and Video in detail with a view of consulting and supporting customers to deploy Dolby technologies. The immediate focus of this role is audio over traditional broadcast and IP (managed and unmanaged) networks, going forward the role is expected to include video delivery.
The position is based in our office either in London or Royal Wootton Basset.
Essential Job Functions
- Technical skills
- Demonstrated understanding of Audio and Video technologies used in Broadcast and Online media delivery. Ability to work with Dolby engineering teams to enable deployment of technologies Dolby is bringing to the market in this space (DD+, AC4, Dolby Vision)
- Provide detailed systems level support for Dolby Audio Technologies to Dolby’s existing and potential broadcast, mobile and online customers. Support and resolve new or problematic issues in UHD, HD, SD, online and mobile delivery of Dolby Audio Technologies, where necessary on-site.
- Provide support for Multichannel Audio and going forward for Immersive Audio in Live Broadcast, Broadcast production and post production facilities (including live capture).
- Provide relevant technical analysis of the customer’s systems to other members of EMEA or worldwide team as they support Dolby’s broadcast customers and sales channels across the entire program chain from ingest to multiplex.
- Provide technical training to Broadcaster and OTT partners on Dolby technologies in broadcast, mobile and online systems and products
- Team Management
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team of experienced solution engineers; this includes setting and tracking goals, providing oversight and prioritization.
- Ensure regular communication with stake holders and reporting.
- Project / Program management
- Demonstrated ability to lead project teams, manage timelines, deliverables and expectations.
- Typically Dolby’s contribution to the customer projects can vary between a few months to a year. The project teams are comprised of internal colleagues as well as external consultants.
- Manage schedules, project plans as well as documents like project scope, summary of learning and regular feedback to development team. Familiarity with tools such as Confluence, JIRA, Salesforce and project management tools is desired.
- Stakeholder management
- Work closely with the European Operator Sales team
- Ability to interface with senior levels of engineering departments at customers and potential customers. Establish and / or maintain customer relationships.
- Manage the day-to-day communication on technical issues, communicating with Dolby’s Engineering in Headquarters and following-up outstanding technical and licensing issues both internally and with customers.
- Assist immediate team members and contribute to marketing and PR initiatives.
- Industry knowledge / network
- Support Dolby’s marketing activities with technical information and attending tradeshows and similar events.
- Actively liaise with other Dolby Laboratories offices.
- Give input into the setting of broadcast priorities within the sales group.
- In conjunction with the rest of the Sales group, evangelize Dolby technologies to the broadcast and online market.
- Support standards related work where relevant.
- Degree or equivalent in Science, Electronic Engineering, Music Technology, Computer Science or Information Technology;
- Detailed knowledge of digital TV broadcast systems, with demonstrable detailed hands-on experience of broadcast, IPTV and OTT products
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage teams
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects with-in budget and timeframes. Ability to tolerate ambiguity.
- Leadership skills and team player. Able to work proactively and work on own initiative
- Communicative and transparent; partnering with the European Sales and Engineering team and global Dolby organization.
- Capability to understand and pursue the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Self-motivated with ability to maintain high standards and results while working independently.
- Thorough technical understanding of currently available digital video broadcasting and IP based delivery technologies for IPTV, VoD or WebTV is highly desirable. Knowledge of audio and video coding technologies is also desirable
- In-depth knowledge of standard computer hardware and software will be expected as well as an interest in audio / video
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are essential; written and verbal interactions with customers individually and in groups are a major part of the job.
- Work experience and existing network in the broadcast and online community in Europe is extremely desirable. Good command of another European language in addition to English will be a plus.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Willingness to travel (approx 30% of the time on average), mostly within Europe, and a willingness to work outside normal office hours, when required.
- Knowledge of Video workflow in Broadcast and OTT is desirable.
The ideal candidate would also have in depth experience working for a broadcaster/OTT or telecommunications service provider company (i.e. supporting broadcasters setting up their broadcast services) or for a 3rd party audio/video head end technology vendor or system integrator.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top