Senior Licensing Sales Manager, EMEA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Via Senior Licensing Sales Manager, EMEA
Via is a world-leading provider of innovation-enhancing intellectual property solutions, including patent pools. Via is currently promotes innovation by means of patent pools in the field of audio, broadcast, wireless and automotive. Via is an independent subsidiary of Dolby Laboratories, a company with more than 40 years of experience licensing technology and administering licensing programs for third-party intellectual property owners.
The Senior Licensing Manager:
- Is responsible for representing Via Licensing’s patent licensing activities in EMEA and is accountable of licensing revenue generated from licensees established in EMEA for all licensing programs of Via.
- Provides support in the region to all Via US personnel in the areas of licensee/licensor activities, and new business development.
- Identifies, analyzes, evaluates, and pursues new licensees for Via’s patent licensing programs.
- Represent the company interests externally regarding licensee relations in the region. Formulate, document and communicate recommendations on licensing opportunities of strategic importance in the region to Via management. Report regularly and frequently to headquarters with detailed reports on progress in all areas.
Position is based in London, and reports to the Director, Worldwide Sales and Licensing.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with Via senior management in Europe and the United states on strategic intellectual property deals in Europe and globally.
- Manage overall relationships with existing licensees. Execute new license agreements with potential licensees. Provide feedback to Via Program Managers as to the market response to Via’s licensing offers.
- Assume ownership of quarterly revenue targets for all licensing programs in the region.
- Provide support for running select licensing programs by following up and delivering on all commitments to licensees in the region as described in executed agreements. Assume lead role with all Via departments on making sure all operational aspects of licensing programs in the region are running as expected.
- Assist Via personnel in the identification and investigation of new licensing opportunities in the region and assist with communications with the external business development and licensing community as requested. Ensure that key company managers and relevant personnel at headquarters are continuously and frequently informed of the state of affairs in identified business areas.
- Acquire an in-depth understanding of licensing program(s) offered by the company by becoming familiar with all aspects of the assigned licensing programs’ agreements and the technology that those programs license. Provide assistance to other licensing personnel within Via with respect to assigned licensing programs in outbound licensing activities.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with colleagues at headquarters to facilitate formulation and adoption of optimal strategies for licensing activities in the region.
- Conduct strategic technology/market/business research and develop licensing related recommendations in close collaboration with key internal (headquarters) colleagues and external resources.
- Develop and deliver appropriate communications, e.g., reports, memos, meetings, presentations, etc. to ensure that the Via management team is appropriately informed of all significant external regional specific events related to company business.
- Update and maintain status of licensing discussions up to date in the CRM system, Sales Force
- Make recommendations for tactical and strategic activities to improve licensee relationships and to allow the company to take advantage of opportunities.
- Support and attend as needed meetings of Licensors which may happen in EMEA
- Work to develop and understand the licensee’s perspective and convey these ideas to headquarters to help create and maintain excellence in the overall customer relationship.
- Maintain a maximum 48-hour response time to daily inquiries from prospective licensees, including following-up e-mail and telephone inquiries. Coordinate responses with headquarters.
- Assist headquarters personnel with administrative tasks related to internal operations, travel, internal and external meetings, licensing trips (licensee and licensor meetings), and communications with clients in the region.
- (30% on average) travel within the region is required. Additionally, regular trips (2 or 3 per year) to San Francisco headquarters may be required.
Knowledge, Education, Skills, Abilities, and Experience Required
- Education: Certified European patent attorney or Master of Law in Intellectual Property, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience in intellectual property and/or technology licensing and related fields.
- Experience and track record in closing cross-border licensing activities
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills in English are essential. Proficiency in at least another European language would be highly desired.
- Must have the ability to work successfully in a team environment with a diverse group of technical and business staff.
- Patent licensing and technical marketing experience highly desirable.
- Project management experience useful.
Back to top