Senior Director Patent Licensing
- London, United Kingdom
At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to make a difference how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide.
To do that, we need the absolute best talent. Are you the one?
We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. Would you like to work on the latest entertainment technologies to deliver spectacular experiences with us?
Via Licensing is seeking a senior licensing executive based in London. This person will be responsible for licensing the company's standards-essential patents (SEPs) including those in its audio and wireless pools as well as other programs under development.
Via Licensing, the leader in standards-based patent pool licensing, is accelerating the pace of its activities. As a member of the team, you'll license patents developed by Via members, which have protected their IP and patents as they continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy communications and entertainment through connected devices. To accomplish these objectives, we are looking for the best licensing talent in the industry. Our client offers a collaborative culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The successful candidate will be an experienced attorney or licensing executive responsible for negotiating licenses for members' contributions to the company's "pools" on a global platform. He or she must have experience in negotiating, and especially closing, significant licenses to meet company objectives. Responsibilities include identifying, analyzing and valuing patent licensing opportunities, negotiating terms and closing subsequent licenses. The ideal candidate will have strong communication and presentation skills with demonstrated success in closing such deals.
- Familiarity with standards-essential patent (SEP) licensing and standards bodies.
- Relevant industry related experience is highly desired.
- Licensed to practice law or a technical undergrad degree coupled with an MBA.
- The ability to support the development and execution of strategic assertion campaigns.
- Technical and legal proficiency framed in a business mentality, including the ability to assess patent portfolios for all contexts, including acquisition, licensing, and litigation.
- Experience in developing and implementing retailer campaigns is highly desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills facilitating effective presentations, with the ability to interact effectively with clients and business leaders at all levels; must be able to identify critical issues requiring action and convey them in a manner that is useful to clients and prospective licensees alike.
- Experience working in diverse cultural settings with due consideration for local traditions, behaviors and business practices a must.
- The person should amplify team engagement, employing adaptability and flexibility and efficient management of both internal and external resources.
- Effective leadership with strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to function well in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Works collegially and pro-actively with various teams across the company to advise on legal and licensing issues, including initial technical assessment of potential assertion and/or patent asset acquisition opportunities.
- A quick study, able to handle complex matters with multiple initiatives going on simultaneously.
- Self-starter that is effective in driving change throughout the business and gaining stakeholder buy-in.
- Must exercise sound judgment, be able to work independently and with teams efficiently under time/pressure constraints and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess outstanding credentials with demonstrated success closing deals.
Additional Preferred Competencies:
- Strategic Development and Execution - Able to develop and execute strategies that advance licensing discussions in support of overall business objectives.
- Effective Presentation and Teamwork - Able to effectively express ideas in written and oral context, to work attentively and productively with other team members and internal clients, and manage the achievement of team and organizational goals.
- Efficient Management of Outside Legal Resources - Understands law firms and other legal service providers and optimizes services from a cost/benefit perspective.
- Technical and IP Proficiency - Maintains and enhances technical and professional knowledge related to the development and defense of IP globally.
- Legal Proficiency - The ability to draft contractual language and answer legal questions is a plus, especially regarding FRAND and SEP licensing.
- Adaptability/Flexibility - Able to work effectively within a variety of situations, proactively recognizes and addresses existing or emerging risks adapts to changes both internally and in the broader/external context.
- Ability to influence decisions toward positive outcomes.
Dolby Hiring Entity:
4-6 Soho Square
Back to top