Senior Director, IP Strategy and Standards
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
As a leader in entertainment technologies, Dolby is dedicated to the development of next-generation audio and video technologies. The Sr. Director, IP Strategy and Standards position will lead the development of next-generation IP licensing opportunities for these and related technologies. Based in San Francisco, the position reports to Dolby’s Chief Patent Officer and will be a member of the leadership team responsible for Dolby’s Global patent licensing business.
We serve the content creation, distribution and playback global communities by offering key enabling technologies and related IP to the market in the form of ecosystems-building, consensus-based IP licensing.
- Identify market trends that will create new opportunities for development and licensing of patents, especially in entertainment-related technologies.
- Identify potential research opportunities and guide internal R&D investment related to Dolby’s core audio and video experience focus.
- Actively lead technology strategists and collaboration with internal R&D teams to support collaborative audio and video standards such as MPEG and 3GPP.
- Identify and establish strategic and commercial relationships with external IP partners, including partnerships with other companies or research institutes or funding university research to enhance Dolby’s IP portfolios related to both current and next-generation IP licensing opportunities.
- Negotiate joint research, development and commercialization agreements.
- Lead initial program development for new licensing opportunities, including development of IP licensing strategy, engagement of potential licensing partners and identification of initial licensees.
- Work closely with internal patent teams to capture relevant innovations and IP opportunities.
- Provide leadership, performance coaching and development for team of technology strategist and researchers.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education Required
- Significant experience engaging and managing involvement with standards bodies such as MPEG or 3GPP
- Successful track record of identifying commercial opportunities and driving internal business case through resource allocation
- Significant experience leading development and commercialization of next-generation technologies
- Ability to actively lead a diverse and talented team
- Excellent negotiation skills and familiarity with intellectual property issues.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to work cross functionally in global organization
- Technical background in digital signal processing preferred
- Frequent domestic and international travel required
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Back to top