Patent Counsel, Video
- San Francisco, CA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The successful candidate will be a patent attorney or agent responsible for supporting active research, development and licensing programs related to Dolby video technologies. The position includes a variety of responsibilities such as performing and managing patent prosecution, analyzing third-party patents and standards documents, capturing invention disclosures, and conducting due diligence related to potential acquisitions. As a patent attorney or agent in Dolby's video patent group, you will be directly responsible for the prosecution of a worldwide portfolio of patents and patent applications related to our video and digital cinema technologies.
- Align a growing, worldwide patent portfolio with a dynamic business, including the capture and review of invention disclosures and the preparation of recommendations for the invention review committee.
- Manage domestic and foreign outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications of particular importance to Dolby's business.
- Advise on the acquisition, development, and commercialization of third-party technologies and related intellectual property matters.
- Advise on third-party patent claims against products and technologies.
- Support patent licensing and enforcement activities.
- Provide information and training to internal groups as required regarding patent protection procedures and programs.
- Provide such other patent, licensing and intellectual property support as may be assigned.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optics or related majors, M.S. a plus
- Juris Doctor degree from top-tier law school and admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- A minimum of 2-4 years experience as a patent attorney or agent in a top-tier law firm, preferably some experience working in-house
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Self-initiative and ability to work with minimum of direction under pressure
- Superior organization and project management skills
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Strong familiarity in areas of video signal processing, digital image processing, virtual reality, augmented reality, and/or optics
- Experience in intellectual property licensing and litigation
- Experience in standard bodies and patent pools
- Management of worldwide patent strategies
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Back to top