Patent Counsel, Audio
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The successful candidate will be a patent attorney or agent responsible for supporting active research, development and licensing programs. The position includes a variety of responsibilities such as performing and managing patent prosecution, analyzing third-party patents and standards documents, capturing invention disclosures, and conducting due diligence related to potential acquisitions. As a patent attorney or agent in Dolby's audio patent group, you will be directly responsible for the prosecution of a worldwide portfolio of patents and patent applications related to our audio technology.
- Align a growing, worldwide patent portfolio with a dynamic business, including the capture and review of invention disclosures and the preparation of recommendations for the invention review committee.
- Manage domestic and foreign outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications of particular importance to Dolby's business.
- Advise on the acquisition, development, and commercialization of third-party technologies and related intellectual property matters.
- Advise on third-party patent claims against products and technologies.
- Support patent licensing and enforcement activities.
- Provide information and training to internal groups as required regarding patent protection procedures and programs.
- Provide such other patent, licensing and intellectual property support as may be assigned.
- 3 - 5 years of experience as a patent attorney or agent in a top-tier law firm, and preferably some experience working in-house.
- Juris doctor degree (attorney) or USPTO registration number (agent).
- Masters degree in electrical engineering with an emphasis on digital signal processing or bachelors degree with equivalent experience, especially in the area of audio and/or video signal processing.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Self-initiative and ability to work with minimum of direction under pressure.
- Superior organization and project management skills.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in intellectual property licensing and litigation.
- Experience in standard bodies and patent pools
- Management of worldwide patent strategies.
- Experience with scene-based audio format, including Ambisonics.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Back to top