Manager, Technical Communication
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Would you like to be part of the exciting future of entertainment and add your talents to those of an amazing team?
Dolby is looking for a full-time Technical Communications manager in Europe to lead our brilliant team of technical writers in Poland, Germany and the U.K. The position can be based in Nuremberg (Germany) or Wroclaw (Poland).
Dolby's customers integrate our ground-breaking technologies into products like sound bars, TVs and professional media encoders. Our talented writers guide them on their journey by crafting world-class documentation that makes the process smooth and efficient. The team is smart, hard-working and passionate; and we're looking for a coach, mentor, and advocate who understands the best ways to create, maintain and improve technical documentation and can build a content strategy for Dolby that ultimately leads to our customers' success.
Working closely with your manager at our headquarters in San Francisco, you'll lead a team of writers who work with subject matter experts all over the world.
The job might be for you if:
- You love project work and the craft of writing; you also practice what you preach and bring new ideas, processes and perspectives to the team.
- You take pride in seeing a team succeed, and know how to provide them with support, training and a path to grow.
- You're a natural communicator and aren't afraid to speak up for the team and for the art of technical writing.
- You love the challenge of juggling several things at once and making it seem easy.
- You're passionate about user centered development and get upset when you have a poor user experience.
- You love working with the people who are responsible for Dolby's lines of business, getting to understand their priorities and working with them to figure out priorities.
- You pay attention to detail; your considerable knowledge of Microsoft Project, or other project management tools, might come in handy.
As the manager of our European writing team, your typical day might look like this:
- You grab Sabine for your one-on-one weekly meeting and give some direction on how to approach the system development manual.
- You walk into the big conference room and begin your presentation on structured authoring to the European engineering leads.
- It's time to check in with Marcus to make sure Elena's transition into your group is going smoothly. Negotiate how much of her time will be spent on finishing up the advanced technology work.
- After lunch, you put the finishing touches on the release notes for the latest version of the encoder IDK.
- Frank is coming to Poland in a few weeks, so you're booking a nice dinner for everyone at a local restaurant. It's been a while since you've all gotten together in a social setting and there's lots to discuss.
You'll need to show us that you have:
- Two years of experience leading a team of technical writers and eight years of experience writing global English-language technical content.
- Extensive experience in the successful management of complex projects with a lot of deep technology.
- Experience with structured authoring principles to improve content reusability.
- Experience using XML, DITA, and content management systems.
- An organized, attentive mind.
- The skills to motivate, manage, and challenge a diverse group of smart people engaged in multiple projects.
- A Master's degree; or equivalent professional experience with a Bachelor's degree.
Ideally you also have:
- Further skills in information architecture, OxygenXML or other DITA authoring tools, HTML, and CSS.
- The ability to write code.
EVERY BIT AMAZING!
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top