Lab Management Project Manager
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
With Dolby's new, world-class headquarters and its more than 100 development and testing labs and the many other lab locations in the U.S. and around the world, the Lab Management team is a critical piece in the support structure to keep the labs current and operational and to adapt to meet the ever-changing technological requirements. The Lab Management Project Manager is a crucial part of this team and will be responsible for driving the efforts needed to manage, utilize, maintain and grow this infrastructure.
As a Lab Management Project Manager, you will be responsible for driving all activities within the lab management group including lab build-outs, project status, lab maintenance, calibration, utilization, updates, documentation, asset management and many other related efforts to maintain the level of integrity and performance necessary. Through careful planning, risk management, communication, coordination, and escalation of issues you will ensure lab efforts are completed in accordance to scope, schedule and cost. In addition to driving the activities of the Lab Management team, you will work cross-functionally with Design Engineering in all business groups, Facilities, IT, Procurement, and other internal groups as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of lab related projects, ensuring clear, pro-active and relevant communication flow to team members and stakeholders regarding project status and proactively anticipate challenges and delays and implement risk mitigation plans to resolve issues as they arise.
- Create and maintain the master project schedule so the team's resources can be utilized in an efficient and effective manner.
- Work with the engineering project managers, engineers, lab leads and lab users to develop, implement, monitor and maintain a lab usage schedule that fully comprehends project status, project milestones and end points, critical use-cases and special needs and that helps manage lab usage conflicts.
- Work with the cross-functional teams to drive the Lab Management portion of build-outs of new labs from the design phase through commissioning and completion.
- Create, implement and maintain calibration schedules and documentation for the labs, equipment and relevant systems.
- Create and implement the lab management strategy, including developing the budget and resource needs and an asset management process.
- Work closely with the Systems Engineer and other resources to schedule and drive the activities for support, upgrades, repairs and maintenance of labs, equipment and systems to ensure proper priority and completion.
- Conduct periodic and consistent check-ins with the lab users to stay current on lab requirements, changes, repairs/maintenance needed, etc.
- Research, create, publish and maintain the lab capabilities and specifications documents necessary to fully document all the labs.
- Lead the development and implementation of an ongoing training schedule for the lab users regarding the usage of lab features, equipment and control processes.
Desired Leadership Competencies
- Make sound decisions! Focus on important information without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail. Probe and look past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues. Apply the appropriate technical knowledge, information, and expertise in making decisions. Be decisive in the face of uncertainty or ambiguity.
- Build realistic plans! Identify action steps needed to accomplish objectives. Prepare realistic estimates of resource requirements needed to accomplish team or work group objectives or deliverables.
- Manage execution and expectations! Convey clear expectations for projects, monitor progress and redirect efforts when milestones change or are not met. Hold people accountable for achieving their deliverables. Don't allow unexpected obstacles to derail the project progress. Encourage others to set challenging goals and high standards of performance while fostering a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work. Provide honest, helpful feedback to others and help identify and prioritize project objectives.
- Communicate! Communicate clearly, concisely, persuasively and consistently. Be able to adjust and adapt communication style as appropriate to different audiences, including senior management. Encourage others to share information and viewpoints frankly and openly. Proactively share timely updates and information with relevant parties.
- Must have a project management attitude and thrive in the environment where lots of things are going on at once from small projects that vary from day to day to the larger projects that may take six months to a year or longer to complete!
- 3-5 years of project management experience specific to lab construction, audio/video equipment and system integration, commissioning and maintenance required or 5-8 years of managing projects in other disciplines.
- Project management certification (PMP) preferred.
- Experience with construction projects, lab environments and associated technologies, facilities management and operation desired.
- Experience managing budgets, equipment purchases, asset tracking and allocation, maintenance and repair scheduling.
- Ability to handle multiple large projects or programs concurrently and manage competing priorities while being able to effectively manage conflict.
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and to work independently and/or as part of a larger team to achieve established goals.
- Highly organized, methodical and detail oriented with exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of industry best practices.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office applications, SAP, scheduling tools and other project related software tools is required.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top