Facilities & Building Engineer Manager
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This role is to manage the delivery of Infrastructure/Facilities services and programs for Dolby's laboratories and offices in the Americas. The person in this role will be accountable for day-to-day facilities management operations and activities in all domestic locations that include both leased and Dolby owned sites. This also includes managing the diverse facility needs for Dolby's Corporate Headquarters and working with the regional partners on a national service delivery platform.
This is a fast paced position that requires an individual who can manage the operations of several locations simultaneously while being able to effectively prioritize the individual priorities at each location. This is a customer facing role which will require the individual to maintain a positive, professional and even-keeled attitude and be able to communicate effectively with the many cross-functional groups throughout the different facility locations. In addition to the need for a diverse building engineering background and skillset, this individual should also have an understanding of the requirements necessary to support a working laboratory environment and all the elements that entails.
This role will be based out of Dolby's Headquarters office in San Francisco, CA.
- Manage and supervise the internal facility/infrastructure contracting agency as well as external contractors, consultants and resources to perform routine maintenance and repairs to the infrastructure, systems and equipment.
- Manage, direct and prioritize the maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and calibration of internal systems and equipment including, but not limited to: HVAC and various air handling systems and equipment; plumbing and electrical systems and infrastructure; emergency backup systems such as generators and UPS equipment; elevators, fire suppression and monitoring systems; commercial grade kitchen equipment and other internal systems and equipment.
- Manage, direct and prioritize the maintenance and repair of structural, external and landscaping related systems and equipment including, but not limited to: window washing equipment, roofing and drainage systems, exterior window/door weatherproofing, parking lots/garages, landscaping sprinkler systems, lighting and other physical facility items.
- Implement, facilitate, review and document procedures for periodic inspections, calibrations and replacements of those items necessary to comply with local, state and federal regulations and to maintain a high level of quality assurance and safety within Dolby facilities.
- Respond to building and equipment alarms and emergency situations. Together with Security Manager, act as a conduit of information for upper management and communicate with all employees in emergency situations, power or other building service disruptions. Ensure the uninterrupted and sustainable operations of the facility to guarantee the quality, integrity, and capacity of all support systems to the business units.
- Ensure that all site-specific documentation and reports are current, completed accurately and on time, including but not limited to (and as applicable): Site Operating Manual, Emergency Procedures Manual, ADA Compliance Log, OSHA Log, Safety Meeting Log, Elevator Logs, Vendor Certificates of Insurance, As-built Drawings, Paid Invoices File, General Files, Contract Files, Annual Property Conditions and Year-end Performance Report, and other reports and documentation as required.
- Work closely with the Lab Management team to ensure all the special requirements are met and maintained in the lab environment including, but not limited to: lighting, HVAC and airflow, installation and reconfiguration of acoustical properties, electrical changes/modifications and any other lab specific items.
- Prepare, maintain and operate within the facilities' budget including forecasting and reporting as appropriate.
- Develop and nurture a network of vendors to support the activities required from outside sources.
- Work cross-functionally and cross-regionally to bring consistency to programs and systems and to strive for industry best-practices across all locations.
- Deliver a high level of customer support and service to all locations and participate in a continuous improvement philosophy to promote a professional environment and organization.
Desired Leadership Competencies
- Make sound decisions! Focus on important information without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail. Probe and look past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues. Apply the appropriate technical knowledge, information, and expertise in making decisions. Be decisive in the face of uncertainty or ambiguity.
- Build realistic plans! Identify action steps needed to accomplish objectives. Prepare realistic estimates of resource requirements needed to accomplish team or work group objectives or deliverables.
- Manage execution and expectations! Convey clear expectations for projects, monitor progress and redirect efforts when milestones change or are not met. Hold people accountable for achieving their deliverables. Don't allow unexpected obstacles to derail the project progress. Encourage others to set challenging goals and high standards of performance while fostering a sense of energy, ownership, and personal commitment to the work. Provide honest, helpful feedback to others and help identify and prioritize project objectives.
- Communicate! Communicate clearly, concisely, persuasively and consistently. Be able to adjust and adapt communication style as appropriate to different audiences, including senior management. Encourage others to share information and viewpoints frankly and openly. Proactively share timely updates and information with relevant parties.
- Bachelor's (B.A. or B.S.) degree with 7-10 years of building engineering experience and/or property portfolio management in commercial high-rise facilities.
- CFM, FMA industry certifications recommended; other Engineering, Business or technical training or certifications a plus.
- Extensive experience in construction, engineering and all facets of property operation and building management is preferred.
- Previous management/supervisory experience required
- Experience managing budgets, equipment purchases, asset tracking and allocation, maintenance and repair scheduling.
- Ability to handle multiple large projects or programs concurrently and manage competing priorities while being able to effectively managing conflict.
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet deadlines and to work independently to achieve goals established in a team environment.
- Highly organized, methodical and detail oriented with exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Strong business acumen and knowledge of industry best practices.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office applications, scheduling tools and other project related software tools is required.
- Experience with critical system environments is desired.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top