Embedded Software Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Embedded Software Engineer
As anEmbedded Software Engineerin the Dolby Cinema Audio Software team in San Francisco, you will contribute to the design, implementation and maintenance of software for the Dolby product line for the cinema industry, including Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. These products deliver state of the art immersive sound and high dynamic range picture to cinemas worldwide, and are closely aligned with Dolby's home theatre, broadcast, mobile, and other applications. Dolby provides a collaborative and well-equipped environment with a culture of high expectations, mutual respect and autonomy. This is a fine opportunity for a team player who has solid experience in developing well-structured, efficient software in C++, is passionate about audio and/or video, and would like to develop their skills in a high-performance embedded environment.
- Design and develop embedded software for professional audio products, both at the system level and the application level, in a C++ and Linux environment.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Quality Assurance, Fields Service, and Program Management teams to develop and maintain highly reliable cinema products.
- Employ established software development best practices and processes, including object oriented design, revision control, build processes and continuous integration, issue tracking, scheduling, and documentation, using both agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Computer Science, EE/CS, EE, or equivalent
- 0-5 years post-baccalaureate industry or academic work experience
Required Skills and Attributes
- Proficiency in C/C++ programming
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to rapidly learn new skills and apply them effectively
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse, distributed team
- Knowledge and application of software industry best practices and processes
Desirable Skills and Attributes
- A proven record of delivering quality software products in the audio industry or a related field
- Development of software for shipping products in C and C++ in a Linux environment
- Experience with UI/UX for web and other applications
- Knowledge of Linux device drivers, kernel development, and system architecture
- Knowledge of security concepts, for example digital signatures, certificates and encryption
- Experience in software design and/or architecture, documentation using UML, API design
- Experience in hardware integration, debug, board bring-up, manufacturing process
- Knowledge of computer networking e.g. protocols, layers, configuration, troubleshooting
- Experience with I2C, SPI, UART, USB, HDMI and other communications protocols
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python and LUA
- Work that you have done on your own initiative, such as developing your own products or contributing to open source projects
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top