Director, Platform Architecture, Dolby Vision
- Sunnyvale, CA
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The leader in this position is responsible for strategic architectural leadership and platform ecosystem management. They will work collaboratively with product and engineering leadership to ensure that the Dolby Vision ecosystems work together to deliver maximum value to customers, partners, and Dolby.
They lead a small team of architects and a larger team of dotted-line architects to ensure consistency and proper design of Dolby Vision licensing deliverables. They will search out opportunities for improved coordination and collaboration by identifying and productizing shared technologies, internal and external standards, and will lead synthesis of requirements of shared platform technologies.
This leader works with sales, business, and product to deploy existing Dolby Vision solutions to current and new customers. They will also collaborate with customers, business teams, and technology teams to define new applications for Dolby Vision IP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develops, Defines and Evolves Platform Ecosystem Strategy
Anticipates opportunities to leverage platforms to build defensible market leadership positions and to establish / extend the predominance and de-facto standardization of company-preferred media formats.
- Ensures that platform strategy and evolution support the company's vision, strategy and goals.
- Tracks competitive developments to inform platform ecosystem strategy.
- Provides guidance to R&D teams to ensure there is understanding and alignment on the technology needs of the business while generating defensible technology solutions that meaningfully advance the business in the timeframes needed.
Architects, Validates and Evangelizes Platform Approaches
Formulates, develops and collaboratively vets ecosystem concepts, proposed platform architectures, and implementation approaches for platforms that optimally position company-preferred media formats for widespread adoption in mainstream entertainment applications.
- Leads the virtual architecture team.
- Works with a broad cross-section of internal technical and business staff to help scope, define and validate proposed platform approaches through wide sharing of ideas and persistent collaboration.
- Manage a diverse set of views from different stakeholders while driving to clear conclusions
- Maintains a high level of expertise and familiarity with the application use cases for platforms and serves as a visible, pro-active, leader and evangelist for the vision on how platforms are best integrated into licensed products or larger systems.
- Supports sales, technical sales, and technical marketing in helping customers understand how to optimally integrate Dolby Vision technology solutions into their product lines and ecosystems to ensure functionality, interoperability and scalability.
- Leads strategic engagement with early stage ecosystem partners, customer prospects, and industry forums and tradeshowsHelps identify opportunities and supports the adoption of platform technologies into negotiated and de-facto standards. Consults on standardization and may draft supporting documents.
Leads Platform Management
Owns the integrity of platform(s) managed, suitability for market and fit for purpose. Ensures that inter-operability in the context of product ecosystems with focus on features, performance, and reliability, etc., are realized and uphold the promise / value of the Dolby brand over the complete platform life cycle.
- Drives the consolidation of product requirements to facilitate the synthesis of platform requirements.
- Own definition and delivery of reusable platform components to ensure ecosystem consistency and resource efficiency.
- Develops and maintains platform roadmap(s) and drives platform development activities through the product life-cycle management (PLM) process, and is accountable for platform program planning, schedules, milestones and deliverables.
- Supports on-time delivery of innovative platform solutions. Contributes to building robust, scalable documented processes and practices for requirements synthesis, generation and negotiation that meet the overall needs of the company.
Manages and Develops Team and Staff
Demonstrates strong coaching, mentoring and people development skills, and the ability to inspire and motivate the right leadership actions in others.
- Manage a small team of architects.
- Drive a virtual architecture team reporting dotted-line into this role.
- Attracts, retains and ensures strong engagement and timely advancement of diverse, high-caliber talent that are a good fit with the organization and company culture.
- Builds strong, trust-based working relationships and excellent personal leadership rapport through collaboration and information sharing via regular staff meetings and 1:1s with stakeholders internal and external to team.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience, and Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree required in technical, engineering, science or related fields.
- Masters, advanced degree and/or MBA or equivalent industry experience desirable.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant industry experience in product/technology management.
- Expert knowledge and recognized within the video industry as an innovator. Knowledge of Dolby's products, technologies, customers and markets desirable
- High level of technical skills, experience in engineering, research, technical development or intellectual property development.
- Experience in standards bodies, industry forums or industry groups engaged in early technology assessment and development.
- Track record of managing successful complex technology products and systems.
- Proven experience in managing across the complete whole product lifecycle, from initial concept to end-of-life. Experience of both B2B and B2C product management desirable.
- Passion for enhancing the entertainment experience and for "pushing the technology envelope"
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, high-technology environment.
- Experience as an entrepreneur desirable.
- Strong, oral, and written, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; excellent team member, having a strong public presence with the talent to present
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, both functionally and geographically. Can demonstrate the ability to bring consensus to planning and product development initiatives is a must.
- Organizational savvy to understand how to get things done in a matrix organization; proven ability to work hands-on and execute many things at once.
- Ability to travel domestically and overseas. International travel and work experience desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Back to top