Director, Patent Licensing
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The successful candidate will be an experienced attorney responsible for creating and negotiating new patent licensing programs. He or she must have experience in reviewing patents, analyzing and valuing patent licensing opportunities, forming new licensing programs and negotiating licenses to global patent portfolios. Experience in acquiring patents is also helpful.
The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills. Experience with Excel and familiarity with patent licensing tools a plus. Licensing program formation and negotiating experience are a must. Although not required, electrical engineering or computer science experience is valuable, as is familiarity with standards essential patents.
This position will be located in our San Francisco office and will report into the Sr. Director, Patent Licensing in the same office.
- Review portfolios and analyze business needs to form new patent licensing programs.
- Negotiate patent license agreements.
- Help develop and execute strategies for Dolby's worldwide licensing efforts.
- Advise on the acquisition, development and commercialization of third party technologies.
- Develop relationships with internal stakeholders regarding patent licensing efforts.
- Provide such other patent, licensing and intellectual property support as may be required.
Skills and Education
- 8-10+ years of licensing experience as an attorney in a top-tier law firm and preferably some experience working in house.
- Member of the State Bar. USPTO Bar is also helpful, but not required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Self-initiative and ability to work with minimum of direction to meet deadlines.
- Superior organization and project management skills.
- Must demonstrate trust and credibility.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Experience in intellectual property licensing and litigation.
- Experience with standards bodies, standards essential patents and/or patent pools.
- Electrical engineering and/or computer science background and/or admission to one or more Patent bars would be helpful, but are not required.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top