Director, Mechanical Engineering
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
As the Director of Mechanical Engineering you will be responsible to lead the mechanical design effort that will enable the next generation of immersive entertainment experiences created by Dolby. The candidate hired for this position will be part of an engineering organization based in San Francisco, working on a high impact strategic programs that operates in an internal start-up environment. This is an ideal opportunity for a strong leader with a passion for technology, a deep understanding of the principles that underpin good mechanical design, and proven experience in successfully driving such designs through a complete product development process.
- Lead the mechanical system design and execution effort from early prototyping through mass production
- Organize, prioritize and contribute to the work of the mechanical engineering team, composed of internal resources, contractors and suppliers.
- Work closely with industrial design to enable novel and producible solutions
- Engage regularly with contract manufacturer(s) and attend builds to ensure execution meets design intent
- Initiate and manage contracts with external engineering resources, including the negotiation of Service agreements and Statements of Work
- Represent the mechanical engineering team cross-functionally, notably with product and program management, industrial design, other engineering functions and operations.
- Prepare and track budget for internal and external spending for the mechanical engineering function
- Effectively employ written and verbal communications to collaborate with team members to achieve project goals, including reports and demos to keep the team up to date with the mechanical developments
- Research, explore & prove out emerging technologies, materials, components and processes for inclusion in future projects
To be successful in this role, you will need technical and leadership skills in designing for high volume consumer electronics products. It will be critical that you have the ability to develop strong working relationships within the core team and to employ excellent communication skills to work cross functionally with other Dolby groups, consultants and suppliers. You will need to operate at both a very operational and strategic levels, and deal with unexpected challenges in a collaborative and professional manner.
Other Essential Skills Include:
- BSME, MSME or equivalent with at least 15 years of relevant engineering experience.
- Proven track record in building teams and leading mechanical designs for complex cross-functional projects
- Hands-on 3D CAD design expertise in Solidworks, ProE and/or FX
- Skill in building and interpreting structural, thermal, vibrational, magnetic and acoustical simulations (linear & non-linear FEA, MATLAB, SPICE, etc.).
- Knowledge of the design of electromechanical assemblies required. Specific experience in acoustic enclosures, transducers and systems would be a plus.
- Knowledge of a broad range of materials and processes: injection molding, rapid prototyping, thermoforming, extrusion, metal forming and a wide range of material finishing.
- Experienced in international collaboration and global project work. Willing to travel internationally in support of project requirements as needed.
- Has an innate interest to stay abreast of new technologies, market trends, changing customer needs and the strategies of competitors.
COME JOIN AN AMAZING TEAM!
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top