Director, Intellectual Property and Standards Policy
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
The Director, Intellectual Property and Standards Policy will be responsible for owning and leading Dolby's participation in the intellectual property (IP) policy and governance committees of relevant technical standards-development organizations (SDOs) in which the company is active. Key responsibilities of this role include: working directly with Dolby's legal, technical and business teams to develop, review and refine Dolby's substantive positions and contributions to IP committees to ensure alignment with long-term business objectives; development and execution of advocacy strategies to advance Dolby's standards and IP-related interests; proactively engage and lead impactful dialogue with a range of external stakeholders on standards and IP-related legal and policy developments. This position will ideally be based in Washington, D.C. but other locations may make sense. This position will report to Dolby's VP & Counsel, Worldwide Government Relations.
Core Role and Responsibilities
- Independently direct Dolby's engagement at external industry and standards bodies, including monitoring, analyzing, and tracking developments concerning the establishment, revision or clarification of intellectual property (IP) policies and licensing rules of relevant technical standards-development organizations (SDOs) in which the company is active, including ITU, ETSI, ANSI, DVB Forum and 3GPP; keep internal colleagues informed of key developments, trends and potential risks, and provide advice on business plans and strategies.
- Serve as the Dolby representative at intellectual property (IP) policy and governance committees of relevant SDOs
- Drive and lead internal coordination between Dolby's legal, technical and business teams to develop, review and refine Dolby's substantive positions to ensure alignment with long-term business objectives.
- Develop, draft and audit Dolby's written contributions to IP Committees, government regulators, trade associations, industry groups and other stakeholders relevant to Dolby's IP licensing business.
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies and tactics to advance Dolby's substantive positions and business objectives.
- Identify, cultivate and maintain relationships with relevant government policy-makers, regulators, industry associations, professional societies, academia and other opinion leaders in key jurisdictions; educate these stakeholders concerning Dolby's business and IP policy goals and the potential impact of proposed policies or revisions on the company and the broader technology ecosystem.
- Develop Dolby's engagement and relationships with external consultants, industry peers, trade associations, think tanks and academia in support of the company's business goals and government relations agenda.
- Serve externally as a thought leader on substantive issues of importance to Dolby; create opportunities for Dolby executives and subject matter experts to share our expertise via meetings with senior SDO and government officials, participation in government-sponsored dialogues, public speaking events, etc.; prepare company representatives for such opportunities.
- At least 10 years of combined work experience related to antitrust/competition policy, standards-development or IP-licensing business in government, a multinational technology corporation, industry trade association, or political consulting with an emphasis on the technology sector.
- Solid knowledge of, SDO IP policy and governance rules, jurisprudence, applicable antitrust laws and other forms of government regulation applicable to SDOs and IP licensing in key jurisdictions.
- Demonstrated experience and proven track record of success in developing/implementing advocacy strategies and programs on complex matters.
- Effective advocacy, communication/persuasive and consensus-building skills, and political acumen and gained from experience operating in a cross-cultural environment, ability to lead and work collaboratively with business/technology groups across different organizations and geographies.
- Innovator with the ability to educate and influence management at all levels
- Ability to anticipate potential risks or opportunities that may impact the business, and able to thoughtfully and strategically determine best approaches
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as required.
- Law degree is required.
Dolby will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco Police Code, Article 49, and Administrative Code, Article 12
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Product Trial Manager
As Product Trial Manager, Jennine works in the Communications business group, refining Dolby Voice technology with videoconference service providers by testing product solutions under different circumstances.
Back to top