Director, Field Application Engineering
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent, including sales professionals with a passion for great products. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This role is responsible for leading and developing the Greater China Tier-1 technical support resources to support sales and business growth for the licensing business in the Greater China region. Specifically, the individual will lead the post-sales technical support, pre-sales support and customer engineering services. This would entail working closely and collaboratively with a team of Licensing Sales, Operator Sales, Customer Success Support (CSS), Business Group and Marketing teams. The Director of FAE will be responsible for developing the FAE competency matrix and the competency improvement plans with an aim to achieve the overall design win targets that sales has. The individual will plan and prepare the FAE resources to synchronize the support needed for the launch of new technologies. The Director of FAE maintains the healthy business environment for Dolby by working with the team to research and monitor competitive activities, and identifying both current and future technical needs from customers. The individual should regularly interact with licensees, and eco-system partners as necessary, regarding technical issues, quality, deliverables, projects, roadmaps, and activities related to licensing technology including technical qualification of the new applicants. The individual will also optimize the infrastructure for Dolby in Greater China to scale up and cover the overall front end technical support for our customers who develop ecosystems that Dolby is and wants to be part of.
In a management capacity, the Director, Field Application Engineering, Greater China Licensing, will optimize the Greater China Tier-1 support structure, timely resolution any technical issues including implementation, testing and evaluation issues by collaborating with CSS, various PTG groups (including Beijing, Australia, SFO research and engineering teams), Product and Service group, and ATC (Asia Testing Center). In order to build up the optimum Greater China Tier-1 support structure, this person needs to develop an in depth understanding of Dolby’s technologies and ecosystems which include licensing market segments (Broadcast and E-media) and platform segments (Audio, Imaging and Voice). Market and customer experience and insights are therefore very important to the role.
Tier-1 Support Competency Improvement: This person needs to help to ramp up the overall competency level of the FAEs. The individual should proactively builds up the FAE competency matrix, identify gaps according to the current business needs and the future business growth and formulate training and development plans to help to narrow the gap, track the improvement and keep evolving the training plan to make sure that the overall Tier-1 supporting resources stay on track and the FAE resources are aligned with our marketing/sales strategy.
Efficiency of Tier-1 Support: Be able to support account manager to offer the technical presentations while approaching the existing and/or new potential customers, help to win the new customers and the new projects in the existing customers, help the customers to shorten the time to the market. Each FAE should become an expert in one or two areas, and be able to provide technical input about the Greater China customer or market requirements, in partnership with sales, to the corresponding product marketing managers or segment leaders.
Cross Functional Collaboration: Close cooperation with account managers, product marketing, compliance, testing centers, implementation managers, research and engineering, CSS and Tier-3 support, sales operation, IP legal dept. is necessary to effectively communicate with the various stakeholders to get the problems resolved in a timely way.
These solutions and best practices should be applied to the similar cases in the future. The FAE organization should support demos during the road show or any marketing events.
Customer Orientation: Be able to help customers on project management, align customers’ product roadmap with Dolby’s roadmap, and provide consultation to customers to ensure that they are able to deploy Dolby technology solutions effectively and efficiently. It is important to understand the overall customer products and projects, and to get the insights about our competitors in the customer base. The individual and the FAE organization should be able to deliver the technical value proposition of Dolby’s technology and offerings. The individual will be the primary representative and “voice of the customer’‘ within Dolby for licensees in Greater China. The individual will visit customers regularly and report on key trends, market forces, commercial dynamics, competitive analysis and feedback on customer needs.
The position is based in Beijing and reports directly to the Managing Director, Greater China.
Leadership and Influence
- Communicates regularly with CSS and Tier-3 customer support leaders and other key stakeholders on global and regional strategic directions, short-term and long-term goals
- Goal Alignment. Is a stakeholder in the Global Support & Services Program strategy and plan (driven by CSS), owning the greater China portion of Global Program goals. Owns Regional delivery strategy, plan, execution goals (Commercial Wins, delivery of Standard Support, and Regional part of Global Program goals).
- Builds up the Greater China Tier-1 customer support strategy according to the regional market and customer needs and align well with the other departments and stakeholders. Keep the strategy being aligned and updated.
- Stays abreast of new products, market trends, changing customer needs, and strategies of competitors. Regional inputs are included into the global strategies in each segment.
- Critical requirements – strong collaborator and communicator, strategic and service oriented, and proven records in Program Management from technology company
- In line with market and customer needs, the licensing and operator sales team’s structure, CSS and Tier-3 structure, optimize the Tier-1 Greater China customer support structure to ensure the scalability and flexibility
- Work Process Alignment with CSS.
- Manages greater China resources to Global Program processes, SOPs, KPIs, and SLAs.
- Aligns with CSS Global Program Directors on resource forecasting, staff roles and responsibilities.
- Provide Voice-of-the-Customer feedback to CSS Program Directors
- Align with CSS on Services beyond Standard Support prior to delivery
- Builds up the Tier-1 team competency matrix, associates it with the technology I product roadmap, creates competency improvement plans, and executes the plans to grow the team competency.
- Tracks the productivity and efficiency of the Tier-1 customer support team. Continuous fine tuning and improvement to ensure the positive trajectory.
- Instills the teamwork spirit, reliance and dependencies of team members on each other by clearly defining the individual goals vs the team goals.
- Sets up the rewards and recognition programs motivating the team and cultivates the atmosphere of a winning team. Makes sure each team member have the development plan which includes the competency improvement plan according to the business growth requirement.
Collaboration and Teamwork
- Works together with CSS and Tier-3 customer support leaders on the alignment with Dolby’s worldwide customer support strategy including the best practice sharing, self-testing program implementation…
- Works together with sales team on the customer priority set up and the actual problems solving or selling our product/technology to our customers.
- Works together with CSS and the Business Group on 1) the new product definition includes greater china inputs 2) the new product launch has greater china inside 3) overall market study has greater china inputs 4) competitor benchmarking has greater china inputs
- Regularly communicates with the counterparts in the other regions, integrates the best practices in the greater china Tier-1 customer support team
- MSEE, or MSCS or equivalent plus at least 10-15 years of relevant work experience in one or two of the areas: Mobile, PC, Broadcast, and Consumer Electronics.
- Proven managerial skills of leading a large team of engineering or applications for at least 5-7 years. The experience in managing team where individuals have a diverse skill set job and diverse set of job functions is a big plus.
- Business experiences and technical knowledges in Mobile, PC, Broadcast, and Consumer Electronics related markets are essential Past experience in delivering, managing and selling engineering services would be an advantage.
- Familiarity with analog and digital circuitry, PC architecture, audio/video technologies, mobile telecommunication, and consumer electronic products is a plus; Knowledge in content creation, broadcast platform, and new media networks etc is an advantage.
- Demonstrated the experience in managing large, multi-national companies with the direct experience in understanding and conducting global customer management.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with customers, partners, and team members at all levels. Ability to deal with the unexpected challenges in a collaborative and professional manner.
- Excellent selling skills, time management, communications, decision making, interpersonal skills, presentation and organization skills; professional appearance and presentation required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in Mandarin and English plus the ability to work independently to achieve goals established in a team environment.
Note: This position is based in Beijing and will require travel throughout Greater China
(Mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong) and other parts of the world as needed.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top