Broadcast Systems Engineer
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you'll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We're big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
Broadcast Systems Engineer
This position is based in our office in Royal Wootton Basset, UK.
We are looking to hire a Broadcast Systems Engineer to provide technical oversight of applications and systems employed by Dolby's broadcast and OTT customers in Europe. The primary objective of the role is to get on and stay on air with error free carriage with Dolby Audio and Video Technologies (mainly Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby AC4 and for distribution, Dolby E/ED2). The role involves understanding the broadcast and OTT workflows for Audio and Video in detail with a view of consulting and supporting customers to deploy Dolby technologies.
Responsibilities and functions
- Provide detailed systems level support for Dolby Audio Technologies to Dolby's existing and potential broadcast, mobile and online customers. Support and resolve new or problematic issues in broadcast, online and mobile delivery of Dolby Audio Technologies, where necessary on-site.
- Provide support for Multichannel Audio and for Immersive Audio in Live Broadcast, Broadcast production and post production facilities (including live capture).
- Work closely with the European Operator Sales team to understand customer requirements and Dolby's commercial objectives.
- Provide relevant technical analysis of the customer's systems to other members of EMEA or worldwide team as they support Dolby's broadcast customers and sales channels across the entire program chain from ingest to multiplex.
- Provide technical training to Broadcaster and OTT partners on Dolby technologies in broadcast, mobile and online systems and products
- Support Dolby's marketing activities with technical information, setting up product demonstrations and attending tradeshows and similar events.
- Liaise with other Dolby Laboratories offices where necessary.
- Support standards related work where relevant.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications Required
- The ideal candidate would have in depth experience working for a broadcaster/OTT or telecommunications service provider company (i.e. supporting broadcasters setting up their broadcast services) or for a 3rd party audio/video head end technology vendor or system integrator.
- Degree or equivalent in Science, Electronic Engineering, Music Technology, Computer Science or Information Technology
- Detailed knowledge of digital TV broadcast systems, with demonstrable detailed hands-on experience of broadcast, IPTV and OTT products
- Thorough technical understanding of currently available digital video broadcasting and IP based delivery technologies for IPTV, VoD or WebTV is highly desirable. Knowledge of audio and video coding technologies is also desirable
- Familiarity with broadcast mixing consoles and live mixing practices is desirable. Understanding content editing and automation and encoding would be useful.
- In-depth knowledge of standard computer hardware and software will be expected as well as an interest in audio / video
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are essential; written and verbal interactions with customers individually and in groups are a major part of the job.
- Able to work and learn proactively and work on own initiative;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Willingness to travel approx. 40% of the time on average, mostly within Europe, and a willingness to work outside normal office hours, when required.
- Knowledge of Video workflow in Broadcast and OTT is desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Dolby is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our success depends on the combined skills and talents of all our employees. We are committed to making employment decisions without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, marital status, family status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top