Broadcast Equipment Design Engineer- Senior Member of the Technical Staff
Based just outside of L.A., in the heart of one of the world’s media capitols, Dolby’s Image Technology research group has an ideal environment in which to understand and contribute to the science of video and motion pictures. Dolby Vision is already the premiere format for viewing cinematic content in the home, and we are making strides to bring the same advantages of high dynamic range and consistency of experience to live broadcast and streaming, including sports. Our goal is to create the highest quality video experience possible, whether a consumer chooses to watch the big screen in a theater, a flat panel in the living room or a smartphone on the go.
We work collaboratively in small teams to invent and develop video processing algorithms that maintain the original intent of content creators, while meeting the constraints of networks, embedded systems and displays. For this position, the team is focused on production and delivery of live content, with an emphasis on sporting events. In order to characterize and solve the related problems, we utilize our knowledge of the fundamental principles of signal processing, computer graphics, computer vision and the human visual system in conjunction with an understanding of live production and content delivery systems. An emphasis on foundational theory provides a basis for stronger patent protection.
- Provide leadership in developing live streaming video solutions
- Collaborate on novel solutions and patents for the problems underlying the production and delivery of live content
- Provide leadership in developing prototype software and hardware
- Develop proof of concept demos and prototypes
- Generate documentation and guidance to engineers for productization of new applications and features
- Opportunity to work on the fundamental problems related to video and image quality
- Opportunity to publish results that have been protected by patent
- Degree in CS, EE, or related field (graduate degree a plus) with 10 years of related experience designing broadcast video equipment.
- High proficiency in C++ programming
- Experience with the production of live content, including an understanding of the OB trucks used for major sporting events
- Track record of leadership in either the broadcast or live streaming industries
- Experience architecting live video production and/or delivery systems
- Experience with the design and implementation of video production equipment like shaders, switches, playout servers or similar
- Knowledge of Image signal processing algorithms
- Knowledge of MPEG AVC and HEVC
- Strong record of publications or patents
Meet Some of Dolby's Employees
Senior HR Representative
Kari works with managers and business partner teams on new company mergers and acquisitions—providing guidance about the ins and outs of Dolby to ensure smooth business transitions.
Back to top