Discovery Communications satisfies curiosity and engages superfans with a portfolio of premium nonfiction, sports and kids programming brands, reaching 3 billion cumulative viewers across pay-TV and free-to-air platforms in more than 220 countries and territories.
With a seat at the table for key business units, the Corporate Communications team provides support from strategy to execution in communications, corporate engagement, corporate relations and social media across the company, including the Office of the CEO, Ad Sales, Consumer Products, Discovery Digital Networks, Domestic Distribution, Finance, Human Resources, Global Talent Management & Operations, Legal and more.
The VP Corporate Communications is a strategic advisor to Discovery’s top New York-based leaders and their global teams, chiefly the CEO and CFO, executing PR and communications strategies aligned with the company’s priorities, mission and values. This role reports to the Chief Corporate Operations and Communications Officer, will be a senior member of his team and also will work closely with the SVP of Corporate Affairs and Communications and EVP of Global Communications to ensure cohesive development and execution of communications strategies and solutions across the company.
1. Work with executive management to develop and implement complex communications, public affairs and strategies for DCI corporate activities. Key clients will include Discovery’s CEO and CFO.
2. Directly support Discovery CEO on all reputation management and public affairs activities and strategies.
3. Support CFO and VP of Investor relations on all financial communications, investor calls and the public disclosure of DCI’s financial information. Develop and execute PR strategies including media relations, speech development, speaker placement and award submissions for CEO and CFO.
4. Elevate and maintain executive profiles across the industry in concert with Discovery’s brand strategy and key messages.
5. Create opportunities to extend the internal and external profiles of executives in line with both operational and company-wide strategies.
6. Prepare executives for speaking engagements, industry conferences and high-level presentations, including development of scripts, speeches and talking points.
7. Partner with fellow members of corporate communications team and executives to design and deliver quarterly all-hands meetings.
8. Develop deep understanding of Discovery’s business plans, our leaders, our competitors, and industry trends and proactively seek information internally and externally to support communications strategies.
9. Prepare for and manage crisis communications in collaboration with key stakeholders and support teams as needed.
More than twelve years of communications experience in a high-growth environment is strongly preferred
Experience working in financial sector preferred
Six years prior experience as company/organization spokesperson desired
Must have established relationships with key media contacts and strong writing/scripting skills
Ability to establish trust and confidence of executive management
In-depth knowledge of media industry and related public policy issues strongly preferred
Ability to make tough decisions and trouble-shoot with an eye toward anticipating, identifying and forming solutions to problems that may arise
Keen understanding of brand and image protection efforts
Ability to work collaboratively and in a positive manner with colleagues across business units
Bachelor’s Degree required
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
Back to top