VP Business Operations & Social Partners
We’re looking for a VP of Business Operations & Social Partnerships who is passionate about building successful businesses in the Emerging Platforms space including Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, and Social Media strategy for Discovery. This person will be responsible for identifying, analysing and executing on partnerships that improve Discovery's reach through strategic social partnerships. Supporting the SVP of Emerging Platforms, the candidate will lead strategy to deliver real results for social reach for Discovery properties working closely with the Consumer Marketing, PR, Programming, Production, Product, and Editorial teams to play an influential social media strategy role.
This position will also pursue strategic alliances with platforms that support emerging technologies such as oculus, HTC and Google among others with a focus on prospecting and developing new business opportunities. They will be responsible for analyzing current revenue capabilities and identifying new opportunities.
1. Work with management team to define and achieve revenue and business goals
2. Identify, analyze, and manage all strategic partner relationships including headset and distribution companies including negotiating favorable deal terms that result in positive revenue opportunities.
3. Guide deal-making processes and negotiate directly with partners and production companies, utilizing strong knowledge of distribution, windowing strategy, rights, credits
4. Identify partnerships and business drivers to accelerate revenue and distribution growth
5. Leverage data analysis to drive informed decision making and growth
6. Manage along with Business Development, Legal and Product teams on all agreements that involve licensing, platform/tech, and distribution
7. Work cross-functionally across teams to surface key insights and learnings that can help elevate the business overall
8. Create a set of operational processes and implement program management to make sure VR team runs efficiently and executes flawlessly
9. Work closely with ad sales team on packaging to make sure we are creating best in class packages that utilize all aspect of Discovery Communications touch points.
10. Develop and execute social media campaigns for multiple brands and entertainment initiatives with the objective to build engagement and brand awareness
11. Oversee relationships with strategic social platform partners ensuring that Discovery’s digital initiatives are fully executed and operating at full efficiency.
12. Create and/or review basic deal memos, releases and licenses and work with lawyers to provide guidance on project specifics and long form contracts.
13. Communicate across Discovery’s brands to ensure that all interests are captured in ongoing partnerships.
14. Collaborate closely with internal departments to ensure cohesive, strategic alignment between Consumer Marketing, PR, Editorial, Production, Product and more
15. Work closely with Marketing, Legal and Production prior to greenlight to ensure social-minded talent contracts, PR considerations, and marketing briefs
16. Work to establish a productive workflow between design, social media, video/VR product, development and integrated marketing teams while helping to evaluate new solutions, vendors and product offerings all in the pursuit of revenue opportunities.
17. Stay abreast of industry trends, platform trends, and competitive positioning
18. Manages communications to multiple stakeholders about the daily health of the emerging digital properties
Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-Year College or University
6-8+ years of experience working in social media and digital marketing
Strong relationships with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.)
Self-starter with strong social media, business and marketing experience who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Experience around creating and presenting pitches & reports to large groups of decision-makers
A highly collaborative person; among directs, peers, and executives
Proven ability to work with data to drive creative strategy
Flexibility to travel approximately 25% of the time
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top