Vice President - Marketing
The Marketing VP, who will report to the SVP of Marketing and Promotion, is responsible for the daily management of the positioning and messaging for show titles. This strategic thinker will be responsible for understanding and synthesizing research in order to inform consumer positioning, develop strong and strategic on and off air media plans, identifying strategic partnerships, managing
consumer events and leading the teams behind the day/day management of these properties. Additionally, the VP will have to effectively work across departments and divisions within Discovery Communications.
1. Strong project management skills with the ability to mobilize and lead cross-network teams quickly and effectively.
2. Well rounded understanding of effective consumer messaging via on-air promo, VOD, Social, Digital and press channels.
3. Working closely with research team to inform, synthesize, and then write and present creative briefs.
4. Strategic understanding of consumer behavior resulting in a well-designed marketing media plan.
5. Establish closely working relationships with other internal teams including programming, scheduling, research, press, digital, media planning, ad sales, and creative.
6. Strong strategic and executional skills to identify and activate unique and effective partnerships for marketing campaigns.
7. Superior organizational and leadership skills with the ability to manage timelines, large teams, executive management and budgets.
8. Experience in briefing and working with a creative team.
9. Understanding how a network business is successful including ad sales and affiliate implications.
10. Management, training and development of Marketing coordinator, manager and director.
11. Strong understanding of media math, and experience with promo inventory management.
12. Careful management of budget, with an ability to both long and short range plan.
College degree, combined with 10+ years of marketing/advertising work experience in one of the following areas: broadcast, cable network, or OTT/digital content marketing, advertising agency, or brand management.
Demonstrated expertise with marketing concepts, creative development processes (working in print, outdoor, radio, TV, collateral, and more) and project management are absolutely essential.
Direct experience in the consumer discipline, consumer promotion and entertainment industry is required.
Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal and presentation skills are essential for this highly collaborative position.
Ability to formulate creative strategies, strategically assess executional options, think creatively and provide detailed follow-through on campaigns is required. Must be a highly organized, detail conscious leader.
Ability to build and present power point/keynote decks
Must also have a solid understanding of the dynamics of building partnerships for non-traditional
marketing and promotion.
Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top