Vice President - Human Resources
Discovery’s Human Resources team provides leading edge solutions to support the growth, development and overall health of our organization. Our group partners closely with the business to anticipate and deliver programs, products and solutions to keep our talent engaged and our company competitive.
The Vice President, Human Resources will be based in Discovery’s Los Angeles office – supporting Discovery Channel Network, Science Channel and Animal Planet along with some corporate functions and Studios. This role is a key strategic member of the leadership teams for these groups, driving the development and implementation of all people strategies including workforce and resource planning, succession planning, employee engagement in alignment with business and cultural objectives. With support of a fleet of HR specialists, this role will also ensure talent management; organizational development, compensation, benefits and learning initiatives are rolled out and aligned with Discovery’s overarching philosophies supporting a high performance, creative and inclusive environment.
1. Develop and drive a proactive, divisional business human resource strategy
2. Coach leaders in developing organizational and leadership capabilities – and diagnose (and overcome) organizational issues
3. Lead the development and ongoing management of a culture that supports high performance in order to position the organization appropriately to deliver on long-term goals
4. Challenge and coach leaders to understand and address difficult people issues
5. Drive and sustain changes in the culture of the organization
6. Lead the analysis of talent resource plan to ensure alignment and positioning for growth
7. Take the lead on resolving complex employee relations issues that create significant risk to the organization
8. Lead talent review and succession planning initiatives, taking a wide look at both internal and external talent
9. Partner with specialist groups to develop and deliver industry leading programs
Undergraduate degree (BA/BS) in Human Resources, Business, or related field required; PHR/SPHR designation desired
10-15 years generalist experience preferably in the Media industry
Labor relations experience a plus, especially in the television programming/production context
Strong influencer with ability to coach and counsel employees and senior executives.
Confident, effective leader with a track record of success that is approachable and capable of working with people at all levels
Must be effective working autonomously while ensuring key clients and HR colleagues are looped in or consulted as necessary
Able to create a strategy and motivate others to achieve necessary deliverables
Extensive experience in conflict resolution, responding to internal and externally filed complaints
Proven experience in problem-solving and organizational management practices within a sophisticated, complex work environment
Strong interpersonal skills, sensitivity and understanding of cross-cultural complexities, adept at influencing and achieving collaboration
Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively
Extensive experience in organizational design and change management
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top