Vice President BLA LATAM
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all television business affairs and legal matters related to the acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by Discovery Communications LLC’s television networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements; responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related and legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
Discovery Communications LLC seeks a Vice President Business and Legal Affairs, Latin America whose responsible for leading business negotiations, and the negotiation drafting for a wide variety of programming and talent transactions for Discovery Communications networks, Latin America and US Hispanic Channels. The position based in any of the LATAM Regions: Argentina/Columbia/Mexico/Buenos Aires/Miami.
1. Assume responsibility for project/deal negotiations and preparation of documentation for producing, financing, and/or acquiring television product for Discovery Latin America and US Hispanic Channels.
2. Review rough cuts, scripts and programs prior to broadcast to ensure US standards and practices are aligned particularly with Canadian, Latin America productions
3. Negotiate all business and legal terms with talent and producer’s lawyers and agents or other representatives, including standard terms and conditions, back-end participation and ancillary deal components such as the licensing and granting of rights.
4. Independently draft and/or review development, commission, co-production, acquisition, talent and other related agreements.
5. Coordinate and solve problems for all business and legal issues related to the assigned deals, including communicating with network executives and colleagues regarding deal status and content risks.
6. Identify and handle any business or legal issues, coordinate with standards and practices, ad sales, and marketing/PR, manage production legal issues and problems, evaluate commercial and licensing terms.
7. Review and draft ancillary production related documents such as access agreements, participant releases, and consultant agreements.
8. Assume accountability for deals under tight timelines while acquiring appropriate rights package within budgetary parameters.
9. Manage business practices in concert with network editorial/creative and production management.
10. Assess risk level related to show content and deal issues and advise clients accordingly.
11. Provide on-going business and legal guidance to internal clients concerning pre-publication production, broadcast clearance and other issues (e.g., copyright and publicity rights issues)related to show content.
Minimum of ten years professional legal experience at a media company and/or large entertainment legal practice.
Minimum of eight years of legal experience in negotiating kids entertainment deals
Minimum of four to six years of kids entertainment, animation a plus
Have increasing levels of responsibility, negotiating transactions in the entertainment field, including broad and in-depth knowledge of television production and acquisition transactions.
Undergraduate or graduate degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
Experience working in-house in the business affairs or legal department of an entertainment company, preferably a cable or broadcast television network or production company.
Must be fluent in Spanish and Portuguese both written and verbal
The ability to lead in the strategy, structure and negotiation of deals as well as to draft agreements once terms are negotiated.
Creative, business-friendly approach to problem solving and the ability to provide high quality legal support in a fast-paced environment are vital.
Previous Legal experience in the entertainment industry strongly preferred.
Strong academic credentials from an ABA-accredited law school and Bar admission preferred.
Must be self-motivated and deal-savvy with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make strong decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and other software applications are desirable.
Must have legal right to work in the United States
Ideal candidate would have familiarity with the laws and regulations of LATAM entertainment business along with the laws and regulations affecting the kids media space, including COPPA and Kidvid
Ideal candidate would have familiarity with optimization of Consumer Product in the kids entertainment business
Exceptional leadership and strategic acumen
Proven ability to work as a senior member of leadership teams
Strong and effective negotiating skills
Good business judgment and confidence
Excellent drafting and analytical skills
Excellent attention to detail
Ability to work well in a fast-paced, deadline intensive environment
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a range of personalities and style and establish productive relationships at all levels of the organization
Back to top