Global Talent Management & Operations (GTM&O) is the connective tissue between on-air and digital series Talent and the global businesses of Discovery Communications to effectively and efficiently manage their business strategy, prioritize their activities outside of Production, align with Production, and optimize global operations.
As the Talent’s key relationship holder with Discovery Communications, GTM&O strategically manages relationships with Talent, their representatives, production and internal clients to onboard, coach, advocate, enhance, prioritize and leverage the Talent to drive business value for ratings, revenue, relationships, renewals and brands.
The Manager position will reside in Global Talent Management & Operations (GTMO) in Los Angeles and report to the Director aligned to the Discovery Channel business unit. This person will act as a primary liaison between Discovery on-air Talent and the DCI divisions to strengthen relationships, navigate Talent issues and inquiries, and support DCI business initiatives. Additionally, the manager will leverage Talent and deals to support DCI events and content that drive ratings and revenue, with a focus towards developing and maximizing the Talent’s brands worldwide.
1. Engage Talent early in their production process to build/maintain personal and business relationships.
2. Onboard/orient Talent to the network and provide on-going guidance and mentorship throughout the term of the Talent’s relationship with the company.
3. Track milestones in the Talents' personal and professional lives with a focus on understanding the Talent’s deal terms, interests, skills, expertise, etc.
4. Work closely and build relationships with relevant internal and external parties, including executive producers, lawyers, agents, managers, publicists etc. to form a 360º Talent management strategy.
5. Navigate and troubleshoot potential Talent crises, including personality driven issues and contractual situations. Manage situations before, during and after relevant crisis to protect relationships with Talent as well as company’s business interests.
6. Broker conversations between Talent and DCI business units such as ad sales, marketing, communications, commerce, international, education etc. to develop and support business initiatives and maximize the Talent’s brands.
7. Secure Talent’s buy-in on such strategies/opportunities and manage approach to Talent to guarantee contractual compliance, manage expectations, and ensure successful execution of plans.
8. Act as strategic counsel to Discovery key executives in connection with Talent management, Talent business strategy and issue resolution. Advise and recommend short and long-term Talent related business strategies aimed at maximizing rights in Talent contracts
9. Maintain Talent information in Discovery’s Talent database, including contact information, representation, brand use, activity and anecdotal information etc.
10. Accompany and manage Talent at Discovery and corporate related activities and events, such as marketing and ad sales shoots, Upfront presentations, TCA etc.
11. Coordinate all Talent travel and logistics as it relates to non-press and production events and according to Talent’s contracted accommodation terms.
BA/BS degree and 5+ years experience working in television or entertainment industry (Talent management and/or Agency experience is preferred).
Thorough knowledge of on-air Talent business, including understanding of Talent contractual terms (experience managing VIPs is preferred).
Exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomacy, as well as the ability to exemplify calmness and composure while handling Talent in crisis situations.
Ability to contribute and thrive in high-energy, high-profile, deadline driven, results and detailed oriented environment.
Capacity to manage and prioritize many projects/tasks in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Strong organization, critical reasoning, and problem-solving skills/abilities.
Exceptions written and verbal communications skills.
Genuine interest in television/entertainment/media business with curiosity and thirst to learn and grow is preferred.
VIP management, Talent management, and/or agency experience is preferred.
Ability to travel quickly and often when needed.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Back to top