SVP - Product & Technology
The SVP – Product & Technology leads all product, engineering, design and program management efforts across Discovery’s Digital organization. This role is a key liaison with multiple groups across digital, sales, the networks and IT. The SVP, in partnership with the OTT lead and Digital GM/ EVP, will set the OTT/ TVE strategy and roadmap for Discovery. We are looking for someone who has a successful track record in media launching new and cutting edge OTT product offerings.
1. Partner with digital stakeholders & GM/EVP along with cross-functional teams to design, develop, implement, launch and support new products that grow our business and achieve agreed business, engagement and revenue goals
2. Lead multiple, geographically dispersed teams across the product & tech portfolio: product, engineering, design and program management
3. Develop a team culture across the digital organization to ensure collaboration is happening across teams and evangelize best practices to deliver world-class products
4. Lead the Discovery Communications digital technology strategy and adhere to agreed company-wide standards and platforms across teams
5. Promote platform development and re-use and help deliver best practice internal “open-sourcing” of platforms
6. Lead Engineering team and external third parties and off-shore development teams to coordinate technology plans and deliver products
7. Develop and execute plans under a set of implementation and delivery time constraints, optimizing for a complex blend of product cost, service opportunity cost and ongoing support costs.
8. Be financially diligent and operate within the budgetary measures in place within the company
9. Develop and maintain agreed success and performance measurement strategies for products and build optimization plans
10. Ensure agreed Service Level Agreements are achieved
11. Facilitate broad collaboration with clear communications and documentation
12. Build, mentor and support the digital community within the company
13. Evangelize Discovery Communications products externally to customers, partners and prospects.
14. Understand cross departmental and organizational needs and incorporate into product development process
15. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
16. Establish and supervise quality assurance processes
17. Identify technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business
Must have at least 5 – 7 years of mobile development experience
Must have a successful track record in launching new and cutting edge OTT product offerings
Must have at least 10+ years of experience working in the TV/ entertainment industry
Must have experience with development
Must have experience leading a high-performing, geographically dispersed team
Outstanding communication, influencing and interpersonal skills; proven ability to succeed in matrixed environment
Demonstrated ability to staff a technical team and attract top talent
Proven strong staff management experience a must.
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment.
Effective negotiation and vendor management skills
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Business, master’s degree preferred, but not required
Must have the legal right to work in the US
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top