Sr Engineer - Automation & Controls
The Technical Facility Planning & Engineering (TFPE) Department is responsible for the planning, design, construction, outfitting, operation and maintenance of the company’s mission-critical facilities and office spaces with particular emphasis on the power, cooling, and cabling infrastructures that support the company’s information technology (IT), post production, broadcast and transmission systems.
The Senior Facility Automation & Controls Engineer designs, programs, installs, commissions and maintains the Facility Monitoring Systems (FMS) and Building Management Systems (BMS) that monitor and control critical power (electrical) & cooling (mechanical) systems.
1. Works with the Technical Facility design, construction management and operations teams to develop and deploy control systems that ensure maximum system reliability and efficiency.
2. Researches and identifies available communication ports on Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS), Static Transfer Switches (STS), Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS), Power Distribution Units (PDU), 480 Volt Switchgear, Diesel Generators, Fuel Systems, Computer Room Air Conditioning (CRAC) Units, Air Cooled Condensers, Drycoolers, Chillers, Pumps, Fire Systems.
3. Develops monitoring and control system concepts, architectures and schematics; researches, identifies, evaluates, selects and integrates hardware and software components; configures and customizes applications and databases; and programs / develops code and HMI.
4. Develops detailed wiring diagrams and installation plans for the physical components: sensors, cable & wire, cable pathways, electronics and control panels.
5. Works as an individual contributor and in collaboration with architects, mechanical / electrical / plumbing (MEP) engineers, consultants, equipment vendors, construction managers, trade contractors, property management and other internal / external organizations.
6. Manages vendors, including: preparation of drawings, specifications, scopes of work, and service agreements; negotiates pricing; manages technical, cost and schedule performance; and reviews deliverables for quality and compliance.
7. Works closely with the IT Network, Server, Storage, Security, Application and Database teams to ensure continued operability, integrity, and compatibility with operating system (OS), application, database and hardware system upgrades and configuration changes.
8. Maintains BMS servers and architecture including regular backups, database maintenance, and driver upgrades.
9. Develops and deploys best practices and standard configurations across multiple sites.
10. Strives for continuous improvement and maintains Change Control, Configuration Management, and current documentation.
11. Responds to facility emergencies and BMS break / fix issues as identified by Technical Facility team members during and after regular business hours. Provides 24x7 On-Call support.
12. Identifies trends and works to permanently resolve recurring issues.
13. Travels to sites to support control system installation and maintenance; facility construction; equipment start-up, testing, commissioning and troubleshooting efforts.
A Bachelor’s degree in electrical, mechanical or industrial engineering or computer science; or an equivalent combination of skills, professional training, certification and experience.
A minimum of 10 years of full lifecycle project experience applicable to the design and deployment of modern building management systems (BMS) and instrumentation technologies that monitor and control critical power (electrical) & cooling (mechanical) systems.
Ideal candidate will have strong practical and theoretical knowledge of data center and critical facility infrastructure including electrical / mechanical systems: Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS), Battery Systems, Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS), Static Transfer Switches (STS), Power Distribution Units (PDU), 480 Volt Switchgear, Diesel Generators, Computer Room Air Conditioning (CRAC) Units, Drycoolers, Chillers, Air Cooled Condensers, and Cooling Towers.
Experience, working knowledge and strong understanding of:
o IP Networks, Client / Server Systems
o Server Architecture – Set-up & Configuration
o BACnet protocol - IP, ETH, MS/TP
o Modbus protocol – TCP, RTU
o SQL Database Systems & ODBC Module Configurations
o HMI & PLC Programming
o Ladder & Relay Logic & Controls Hardware
o Automated Logic Control (ALC) & Siemens Systems
o RS232/485 serial communications and interface conversions
Experience and strong understanding of various system interfaces and communication protocols: Carel, Caterpillar, Dranetz, Emerson (Avtron, Chloride, Liebert), Detroit Diesel, MTU, Schneider Electric (APC, Modicon, Square D), Stulz, Trane.
This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, the employee in this position is expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
Legal right to work in the US
Professional Engineer (PE), Project Management Professional (PMP), and AutoCAD experience a plus !
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top