Sr Director- Programming & Development
Discovery is looking for a Sr. Director of Programming & Development to develop and oversee creative slates production for Discovery Virtual Reality. This role will report to the SVP of Emerging Platforms on the company’s Digital team. Our ideal candidate will have a background in all aspects of programming, including development, production, curation and launch strategy in traditional as well as virtual reality content.
1. Work with SVP of Emerging Platforms to define and build Discovery VR brand voice and content programming strategies
2. Manage the launch of all projects using strategic tactics to ensure successful launch and optimization including social and Discovery tentpole events.
3. Manage programming on Discovery app on all platforms for optimal performance and audience building using Data and tentpole events to inform decisions.
4. Create and maintain editorial calendars capturing relevant events, tentpoles, and landscape trends to program a slate of original content for distribution across relevant platforms.
5. Identify and cultivate relationships with emerging agents, talent, content creators, and production companies in order to offer production solutions.
6. Build a pipeline of incoming pitches, as well as finished projects for curation, soliciting and evaluating programs from agents, producers, writers, creators, and talent with a particular eye to emerging technologies and platforms (VR/360, AR)
7. Evaluate incoming projects with clients, directors and executive producers to create production strategies that facilitate creative excellence while maintaining fiscal responsibility
8. Guide deal-making processes and negotiate with partners and production companies while utilizing knowledge of distribution, windowing strategy, rights, and credits
9. Create budgets and ballparks based on solid research and realistic production approach
10. Monitor working actuals on all projects from development through delivery; ensure budgets are adhered to throughout duration of project, and ensure jobs are fully wrapped. Work with accounting team to manage cash flow and production expenses
11. Create and/or review basic deal memos, releases and licenses. Work with Legal to provide guidance on project specifics for long form contracts.
12. Oversee internal and 3rd party production of content, approving budgets and schedules and overseeing creative and final deliverables.
13. Devise inventive and original approaches to incoming ideas, using inherent sense of what resonates and earns viewership in the digital landscapes.
14. Maintain high level of quality control across development and production for content slate
15. Create and maintain systems for tracking content in all stages of development and production
16. Suggest programming KPI’s and track and report against mutually agreed upon metrics
17. Package creative ideas by suggesting and attaching talent, making pitch documents including decks, sizzles, and writing loglines and treatments as needed
Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-Year College or University
5- 7 years of experience in Digital Media as Line Producer or Production Manager, with focus on live action
2+ years of management experience
Must be extremely organized with a passion for process, procedures and structure
Excellent oral and written communication skills; articulate and well spoken.
Must be dynamic, proactive, and take initiative
Ability to stay calm under pressure, flexible, and adaptable to change.
Detail oriented ability to multi-task by prioritizing and executing concurrent activities.
Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight time frames in a fast-paced environment.
Understanding of production focused legal documents including contracts, SOW, licenses and deal memos.
Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically, and be solution-oriented.
Willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise
Flexibility to travel approximately 25% of the time
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top