Sr Director, Marketing Strat & Prod Mgmt
Join the team that positions, markets and messages for TLC, one of television's most entertaining brands.
The Senior Director, Marketing Strategy and Production Management will report to the VP Marketing Strategy for TLC. This strategic thinker will work closely with the VP in the development, ideation, and execution of all on- and off-air campaigns. S/he will provide and inspire innovative thinking that challenges the status quo, developing breakthrough campaigns that drive awareness and tune-in, and ensuring that the brand continues to be bold and unique.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned leader with a proven track record in the broadcast or cable network industry as an innovative marketer who has managed top brands, planned major off-air media campaigns, successfully launched new properties, flawlessly led multiplatform campaigns, managed at least a mid-sized team and large budgets. The ideal candidate will possess a sophisticated and modern approach to marketing, with a deep understanding of how to build and engage audiences across all platforms, and create fandoms and communities.
The candidate must demonstrate a strong knowledge of the media landscape including trends in print, on-air, radio, digital, social, OOH, guerilla, and experiential marketing. S/he must possess a thorough understanding of modern media tactics and tools, including audience targeting and media optimization. Experience also required in utilizing research to inform consumer positioning and the development of strong and strategic on-and off-air campaigns. An exacting attention to detail, finely honed project management, writing, and personnel management skills are a must.
1. Manage major campaigns including work flow, project tracking, ideation, writing of briefs, and development and implementation of media plans.
2. Manage daily operations of strategy department, including managing and mentoring team in all aspects of campaign development and management, including brief development and writing.
3. Supervise production management team, including the management of department and project budgets. This includes supervising contract negotiation with internal and external stakeholders as well as all aspects of production and post for on- and off-air campaigns, scripted and unscripted campaigns, branded entertainment, upfront and sales presentations, events, partnerships, premiums, and other priorities.
4. Supervise licensing contract process for music, imagery, footage and all other rights management.
5. Supervise production management team in the preparation and management of vendor contracts. Liaise with legal department as necessary on high profile and complex contracts.
6. Represent marketing strategy effectively under the guidance of the VP and SVP to successfully plan and manage network priorities, both strategically and operationally.
7. Partner with creative marketing team, and provide strong leadership among the entire marketing team to foster a spirit of cooperation, collaboration, and innovation.
8. Establish close working relationships with other internal teams including programming, multi-platform, production, scheduling, research, communications, finance, and internal creative agency. Work cross-departmentally with these teams to develop seamless successful campaigns. Mobilize and lead inter- and intra-departmental teams quickly and effectively.
9. Partner with finance team to proactively forecast departmental budget on a monthly basis and effectively exercise financial prudence in all marketing activities.
10. Work closely with research team to maintain a strong understanding of the TLC audience and how it applies to consumer behavior. Ensure application of research learnings in all campaigns.
11. Collaborate with media team to evaluate performance, plan strategies, and create and execute media plans. Act nimbly to innovate in all areas of media evaluation, campaign planning, and targeting/optimization. Work with media team and research to create detailed post-mortem evaluations of all campaigns, and apply learnings to future campaigns.
12. Maintain current knowledge of media landscape and how it applies to the TLC audience and campaigns. Provide strong leadership within the department on innovative marketing techniques and tactics.
13. Maintain current knowledge of competitive branding and marketing campaigns and keep marketing team up to date.
14. Lead the team in the identification, development and management of strategic partnerships.
15. Lead the team in the development and management of major consumer events.
16. Create budgetary and workflow efficiencies within the department.
17. Step in and represent the strategy team when VP is not available.
18. Other duties as assigned.
College degree required, masters preferred, combined with 12+ years of marketing/advertising work experience in: broadcast or cable network marketing, entertainment marketing, digital/social/new media, advertising agency, and/or brand management.
Demonstrated expertise with marketing concepts, creative and strategic development processes (working in print, on-air, radio, digital, social, OOH, guerilla, experiential, collateral, new media and more), media planning, and impeccable project management are absolutely essential.
8+ years experience successfully managing a mid-large sized team and large departmental, production, project, and media budgets.
Seasoned leader and manager, adept at inspiring innovation, collaboration, hard work, and positivity.
Experience in production and production management.
Experience in marketing both scripted and unscripted entertainment preferred.
Superior organizational and leadership skills.
Direct experience in the consumer discipline, consumer promotion and entertainment industry
Must have proven prior experience in 360 marketing.
Knowledge of all aspects of marketing/promotions and effective execution and measurement in current marketplace conditions.
Excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, and presentation skills are essential for this highly collaborative position.
Ability to formulate creative strategies, strategically assess executional options, think creatively and provide detailed follow-through on campaigns is required. Must be a highly organized, detail-conscious leader.
Self-starter but collaborates well in a team environment.
A natural problem-solver.
Must also have a solid understanding of and experience in the dynamics of building partnerships for non-traditional marketing and promotion.
Experience in managing large consumer events.
Proficiency in Powerpoint, Keynote and other office software.
Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Back to top