Senior Revenue Accountant
This individual will be primarily responsible for supporting the month-end accounting close and reporting of Ad Sales Revenue and related cost and balance sheet accounts; ensuring SOX compliance and performance of controls.
1. Prepare, analyse, and record ad sales activity to the general ledger for month-end closing. Includes the recording of revenue, contra revenue, multi-elements, deferred revenue, barter, commissions, and bad debt reserve.
2. Prepare monthly B/S reconciliations and roll forwards to ensure general ledger account information is accurate, consistent, traceable, and auditable. Includes A/R allowance for doubtful accounts, audience delivery liability, sales commissions, volume incentives, A/R, deferred revenue, and intercompany for all entities.
3. Prepare post-close monthly reports such as Monthly Close Accounting Report. Prepare flux analysis in concert with FP&A staff for corporate and auditors.
4. Maintain compliance of SOX controls, policies, and evidence, including system controls for media system(s). Understand the process to ascertain whether the right controls are in place.
5. Prepare SEC disclosure work-papers and respond to inquiries from internal and external auditors.
6. Liaise with the Finance team for monthly accounting, reporting and reconciliations.
7. Participate in continual process improvements, implementation of long term ad sales system solutions, report design, automation, review and implementation of industry best practices.
8. Partner with key stakeholders to understand, research, finalize, and document ad revenue accounting issues and policies. Ensure there is consistency within the region. Assist with accounting memos to document significant transactions and company positions.
9. Participate in formal periodic meetings with regional Ad Sales, operations, and Finance personnel to review contracts, accounting and collections issues.
10. Perform other accounting and reporting or analytical projects or duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
CPA or equivalent is a plus
At least 3 years of public accounting or related corporate accounting experience in a publicly-traded company required
Knowledge of media/entertainment industry preferred
Knowledge and experience with SOX compliance preferred
Experience with SAP preferred
“Big 4” public accounting background is a plus
Understanding of US GAAP and ability to perform technical research
Strong analytical and organizational skills. Superior Excel and Word skills
Focused on providing superior service; has a strong desire to learn about the Advertising industry and Discovery as a whole in order to further their ability to support the overall Advertising Sales and Accounting organizations.
Motivated by challenging, dynamic and demanding environment. Demonstrated self-starter. Flexible and able to manage multiple and constantly changing priorities.
Critical thinker and strong problem solver with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization; ability to frame complex issues, articulate findings and present optimal solutions.
Proven attention-to-detail and delivery of results
Mature professional with a proven ability to build confidence and trust with internal and external constituencies.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top