Senior Product Manager VR
Discovery Digital is looking for an experienced product professional to serve as the Product Owner for our suite of virtual reality products across Discovery’s US TV and digital brands. The Sr. Product Manager will work in an Agile development environment and will be responsible for all aspects of the agile product development process. This includes feature prioritization, running product councils, managing the prioritization of work to maximize the benefit to users and the business, authoring user stories, competitive analysis, creating prototypes, running A/B tests, working with research to run usability testing and playing the role of user advocate in the design and development of a user-centric product.
You should have an intense interest in the VR space and an excellent understanding of current and emerging VR platforms and their capabilities. You will understand the vendors currently operating in the VR space and the options for players, encoding, monetization and promotion.
The ideal candidate has previous experience working on large, video-centric entertainment brands, is detail-oriented, has a proven track record as a digital product leader and is equally comfortable working with producers, designers, developers and sales teams in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. You will have a passion for digital media and the insatiable interest in new technologies and emerging platforms required to consistently remain a thought leader. For you to succeed in this role, you should be driven, focused, and comfortable leading through influence and working collaboratively. A strategic thinker and relentless user advocate, you always think about our fans first, and take pride in making their Discovery digital experience the best it can be.
1. Create and test unique user experience models for delivering great VR experiences
2. Develop a deep understanding of the product and its customers through interviews, data, user testing and hands-on usage.
3. Write clear and concise product requirements that enable an engaging and monetizable customer experience.
4. Ensure product definition and product life-cycle roadmap support the business drivers (i.e., revenue, audience, cost savings, strategic value)
5. Support the product vision for new VR experiences, incorporating ideas from stakeholders in content production, senior management and the mobile product team.
6. Understand, evaluate and proactively pursue opportunities to improve product performance
7. Create concise product documents to justify (ROI) investments
8. Support written product requirements with wireframes, visual designs and interactive prototypes.
9. Exercise Lean product development principles by finding fast, inexpensive ways to validate ideas before building them.
10. Lead cross-functional teams through definition, development, release and maintenance.
11. Do acceptance testing and manage product backlog with project managers and business analysts.
12. Identify, evaluate and work collaboratively with vendors/partners.
13. Foster effective team work by proactively sharing information and working collaboratively with internal stakeholders including: project management, engineering, research, sales, and finance.
14. Manage social media product components and look for ways to improve performance.
15. Quantify, track and regularly reporting on KPI metrics to goal(s)
Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or equivalent experience. MBA preferred.
6+ years’ experience in the creation of digital media products, or working in a product management function at a web publisher with a focus on video, or B2C video platform company. Proven ability to think strategically about market needs, business impact, and product design.
Excellent communication skills. Strong written and verbal skills. Self-starter with ability to work independently and take initiative.
Experience in Agile product development as product owner.
Experience shipping digital products.
Experience with prototyping software, wireframes and user flows. Ability to translate ideas into clickable prototypes.
Experience working closely with editorial, design/IA, engineering, sales, operations and business teams with proven success leading these cross-functional teams through digital product/features releases.
Strong analytical and problem solving skills; with experience using metrics to prove assumptions and concepts, including running A/B tests.
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to articulate product concepts to a variety of audiences. Prior hands-on experience with Content Management Systems.
Prior experience with Optimizely, Google Analytics, Freewheel, Jira/Confluence, Proto.io, Photoshop
Understand the basics of video players and video ecosystems
*Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Back to top