The Senior Accountant will be a member of the Corporate Accounting team. The Corporate Accounting function is responsible for monthly and quarterly reporting, including but not limited to preparing the financial statements, account reconciliations and preparing the support for the SEC filings. More specifically, the Senior Accountant will work with the Manager responsible for our equity method investment accounting, non-controlling interest accounting and statement of cash flow.
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for monthly joint venture (JV) accounting, non-controlling interest accounting, assisting with the cash flow preparation, FX accounting/analysis, quarterly SEC disclosure schedules, census reporting and other as needed tasks. The volume of new investments has continued to increase along with the complexity of accounting for them. Change is constant and the Senior Accountant must be able to adapt to changing priorities.
1. Review JV financial statements to ensure proper GAAP accounting, under the guidance of the Manager.
2. Prepare monthly JV accounting journal entries (equity, including Solar Investment, and cost investments, JVP and quarterly AP Canada).
3. Prepare reconciliations for various general ledger balance sheet accounts (equity and cost investments, JVP, NCI).
4. Prepare fluctuation analysis for various stakeholders.
5. Responsible for ensuring that the system generated equity investment pick-ups are recorded appropriately in SAP.
6. As needed, assist the Manager in in recording monthly consolidation accounting entries.
7. Run Corporate AllocationsandRevaluation processes in SAP.
8. Prepare monthly Investment Reporting Pack of all investments that will be seen and referenced by Senior Management
9. Prepare all JV related schedules for the footnote disclosures in the Company’s SEC filings.
10. Prepare quarterly equity investment checklist.
11. Assist in the preparation of the Fact Book reporting process as it relates to Corporate Accounting and the review and tie-out performed for FP&A.
12. Assist in the preparation of the cash flow supporting schedules (Equity Investments, Non-Controlling Interests, and FX).
13. Assist in preparation of the cash flow fluctuation analysis.
14. Assist in the maintenance of foreign currency at a US GAAP consolidated level including revaluation, functional currency determination, translation and analysis.
15. Assist in the documentation and updating of SOX 404 requirements and accounting policies.
16. Assist in the review process of the General Ledger for significant transactions and summarizing the responses from the divisions.
17. Assist with annual external audit work, including coordinating Corporate Accounting request list and assisting in preparing schedules for the auditors.
18. Coordinate the completion of all Regulatory Reporting (e.g. Census).
19. Prepare quarterly black out list.
20. Perform other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in accounting
Experience in consolidation accounting and reporting.
Strong oral and written communication skills, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Self-starter who will raise issues in a timely manner. Excellent problem solving skills.
Proficient in MS Office applications.
High integrity individual. Critical thinker. Extremely detail oriented. Independently pursue projects to completion.
Ability to build confidence and trust with department members and external business partners.
Motivated by challenging, high-energy environment.
A strong work ethic and ability to handle multiple tasks.
Team player, able to be flexible and work well with others as a team player, as well as able to understand how own role impacts overall processes and step into other roles when necessary.
The legal right to work in the United States
Three to five years of accounting and reporting experience with background in “Big 4” public accounting preferred
Experience with enterprise information systems, SAP a strong plus
* Experience with external auditors
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top