Discovery Communications is the world’s #1 pay TV programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories.
The Media Strategy & Analytics (MSA) team acts as an internal media agency that handles the strategy, execution, and reporting of all paid & owned media vehicles with the goal of driving viewership to the Discovery Networks.
This role is within the Media Strategy & Analytics team, specifically within the Strategic Investment pod responsible for paid media. S/he will be responsible for the assisting media strategy and flawless execution of all day-to-day paid media activities (also referred to as “off-air”), supporting key consumer-targeted marketing initiatives for his/her suite of Discovery US networks. This includes TV, digital, print, radio, experiential, etc.
Responsibilities will involve developing and executing effective paid media campaigns, with special emphasis on data driven planning, execution and post analyses.
The Strategist will collaborate with marketing, research, other media teams, creative, programming, production, sales, and any/all other internal entities relating to media/marketing and partnerships, as well as external agencies and media vendors.
1. Assist in developing the media approach and strategic direction for specific initiatives and defining the target audience
2. Implement media plans designed to maximize efficiencies/effectiveness in driving to corporate/network goals. Responsible for all plan details and ensuring flawless execution.
3. Work with internal and external partners to communicate campaign strategies and ensure deliverables are timely and align with campaign goals.
4. Grow relationships, work seamlessly and share best practices among the Strategic Investment team within MSA, and the team as a whole
5. Acquire consumer research data to support media strategies, either internally/externally. Partner with research stakeholders to present effectiveness findings post-campaign, and apply research learnings to future campaign strategies/tactics.
6. Meet with external vendors to gain information about new offerings and share it with MSA
7. Ensure all external vendor invoices are accurate and processed for payment. Track and maintain the annual media budget, and work with internal finance team to rectify discrepancies.
Minimum of 1-3 years’ relevant experience includes, but not limited to, Media Planning, Advertising, Digital media strategy
Demonstrated proficiency in media strategy and execution within an agency, vendor or client television community, including post analyses
Candidate must be extremely detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, and have the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under tight deadlines with a sense of urgency when applicable
Self-starter, highly motivated, take initiative and have a positive and collaborative demeanor
Strong presentation skills with the ability to effectively sell- in material to internal network partners and other stakeholders.
Demonstrated experience in planning innovative, results-oriented, national campaigns featuring multiple media; experience in digital display/mobile/search a plus.
Ability to work under pressure with continuous ability to reprioritize, applying media thinking and “best practice” knowledge to all areas of media planning
Demonstrated exceptional proficiency in developing sell-in narratives with Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, and Excel. Knowledge of media research tools such as Simmons & MRI; experience with Comscore, TView and reach and frequency tools a plus.
Consummate professional who represents the values and ethics of Discovery Communications to external agencies and media vendors.
Familiarity with Nielsen ratings data strongly preferred
Basic knowledge of broadcast or television trafficking
College Degree Required.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Back to top