Manager Online Learning Community
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Discovery Education Community is a global professional learning community of education professionals who are passionate about transforming the learning experience with digital media. Since its inception our community mission has remained the same - connect educators to their most valuable resource, each other. Discovery Education supports this mission by connecting members across town and around the world through social media, virtual conferences and in-person events - fostering valuable networking, idea-sharing and inspiration. As one of the largest professional education learning communities, members of the Discovery Education Community have hosted more than 60,000 professional development events impacting more than 2.3 million educators worldwide. Research has demonstrated a true impact on the quality and efficacy of community members’ instructional practice as a result of their engagement with the Discovery Education Community. Our commitment to community is an essential part of the professional development continuum through which we provide ongoing support, as well as recognition, to our partners as they more fully integrate Discovery Education products and services into their practice. Ultimately, community plays a critical role in helping us achieve our goal of providing a first-class customer experience that ensures partnership renewals and continuously improves customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.
The role of the Online Community Manager is to develop and support an online community strategy for Discovery Education partners (e.g., teachers, principals) that leads to deep usage of Discovery Education products and services and fosters a strong sense of customer brand loyalty among community members at all levels. At its core, the role helps the Discovery Education Community Team fulfill the mission of “connecting educators to their most valuable resource…each other.” The Online Community Manager represents the power of Discovery Education’s professional learning community as an integral part of the company’s “partnership” approach with districts, regions and state customers. An essential part of the professional development continuum is supporting educators within and across our services to ensure continuous professional learning.
1. Partners with customer support and product development to oversee all technical and system administration aspects of the online community. This includes working with the community platform vendor to address, resolve, and communicate any issues related to the features and functionality of the community
2. Collaborate with Discovery Education’s Community, Partner Success, Customer Support, and Professional Development teams to develop an online community strategy that aligns with and supports overall division goals to increase brand awareness, drive product usage and create an active and engaged group of community members
3. Recommends and implements new community features as appropriate
4. Works with Marketing teams to develop and implement community promotion and engagement strategies and tactics as they relate to the division’s strategic goals
5. Coordinates community postings as appropriate across the organization’s other digital channels
7. Monitors discussions, responds in a timely fashion where appropriate
8. Networks with community members and identifies Community Champions to support meaningful interaction within the community platform, training and empowering Community Champions to participate on a more significant engagement level
9. Develops and maintains community training resources, guidelines, and policies
10. Trains other staff on how to participate and engage in the community
11. Provides internal and external community training as necessary
12. Monitors and measures the success of community participation, tracking KPIs related to recruitment, engagement, and product usage
13. Collect feedback from customers to inform online community development strategy
14. Present at Discovery Education events (in-person and virtual) as well as local, state and national conferences - responsible for knowing all functional and educational aspects of all Discovery Education products and services
15. Collaborate with the extended community team and internal and external evaluation teams to continually measure and assess the health of the Discovery Education Community
16. Provide the educational partnerships team tools in which to help position community in the consultation process (i.e. templates, standardized proposals, etc.)
17. Merchandise customer success stories to internal stakeholders across the division
Advanced degree preferred, Masters Degree or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience
Approximately 8-10 years experience, or equivalent, in roles of increasing responsibility with 3-5 years of experience in education preferred
Active participation in and/or demonstrated experience in managing professional learning communities
Demonstrated experience organizing, developing and executing a community engagement strategy
Thorough working knowledge of education technology including digital media and emerging web technologies and their application in the educational environment
Impeccable interpersonal, presentation, organizational and verbal/written communication skills
Ability to work as a team and in a fast-paced environment.
Candidate must be willing to travel approximately 30% of the time with seasonal variations to our educational partner schools in order to conduct business
Candidate must have clear and current clearances in the following three areas: Criminal Records Check, Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint check in order to conduct business in our partner schools
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Back to top