Manager Learning Communities Techbook
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
The Discovery Education Community is a global professional learning community of education professionals who are passionate about transforming the learning experience with digital media. Since its inception our community mission has remained the same - connect educators to their most valuable resource, each other. Discovery Education supports this mission by connecting members across town and around the world through social media, virtual conferences and in-person events - fostering valuable networking, idea-sharing and inspiration. As one of the largest professional education learning communities, members of the Discovery Education Community have hosted more than 60,000 professional development events impacting more than 2.3 million educators worldwide. Research has demonstrated a true impact on the quality and efficacy of community members’ instructional practice as a result of their engagement with the Discovery Education Community. Our commitment to community is an essential part of the professional development continuum through which we provide ongoing support, as well as recognition, to our partners as they more fully integrate Discovery Education products and services into their practice. Ultimately, community plays a critical role in helping us achieve our goal of providing a first-class customer experience that ensures partnership renewals and continuously improves customer satisfaction and brand loyalty.
The role of the Learning Communities (Techbook) Manager is to support deep usage of Discovery Education products and services, with a specific emphasis on the Discovery Education Techbook series, and to foster a strong sense of customer brand loyalty among community members at all levels, including teachers, principals, and superintendents. The Learning Communities Manager represents the power of Discovery Education’s professional learning community as an integral part of the company’s “partnership” approach with districts, regions and state customers. An essential part of the professional development continuum is supporting Techbook customers with instructional content and programs that represent our commitment to continuous professional learning by providing ongoing support to our partners. The Learning Communities Manager (Techbook) will develop instructional content, programs and events that nurture and grow the Discovery Education Community at the local, regional, state, and global levels.
1. Collaborate with Discovery Education’s Community team to develop instructional content, programs, and professional learning opportunities specific to Techbook customers that increase brand awareness, drive product usage and create an active and engaged group of community members
2. Work closely with the Community Engagement and Partner Success teams to integrate programs, events, professional learning opportunities and communications that align with our partners’ strategic initiatives at the district, regional, and statewide levels
3. Collaborate with internal Curriculum, Techbook, and Educational Consultants’ teams to inform content and program development
4. Collect feedback from customers to inform Techbook community initiatives
5. Coordinate with marketing to develop targeted communications plans that promote instructional content, programs, and events to our partners
6. Track the on-going progress and success of the content and programs on a district/regional/state/global level based on program goals, making adjustments to maximize involvement
7. Develop reports and merchandising communications to be shared internally and with district/region/state partners to demonstrate the impact of programs
8. Design, support and deliver professional learning events focused on Discovery Education products and services with specific emphasis on Discovery Education’s Techbook series
9. Present at Discovery Education events (in-person and virtual) as well as local, state and national conferences - responsible for knowing all functional and educational aspects of all Discovery Education products and services
10. Collaborate with the extended community team and internal and external evaluation teams to continually measure and assess the health of the Discovery Education Community
11. Provide the educational partnerships team tools in which to help position community in the consultation process (i.e. templates, standardized proposals, etc.)
12. Merchandise customer success stories to internal stakeholders across the division
Advanced degree preferred, Masters Degree or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience
Approximately 8-10 years experience, or equivalent, in roles of increasing responsibility with 5 years of experience in education preferred
Active participation in and/or demonstrated experience around professional learning communities
Demonstrated experience organizing, developing and executing professional learning events
Demonstrated experience developing instructional content to support student learning
Thorough working knowledge of education technology including digital media and emerging web technologies and their application in the educational environment
Impeccable interpersonal, presentation, organizational and verbal/written communication skills
Ability to work as a team and in a fast-paced environment.
Candidate must be willing to travel approximately 40% of the time with seasonal variations to our educational partner schools in order to conduct business
Candidate must have clear and current clearances in the following three areas: Criminal Records Check, Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprint check in order to conduct business in our partner schools
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top