Manager - Data Strategy & Analytics
As Discovery Communications’ portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-TV, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
The Global Data Analytics team enables Discovery Communications to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, data warehousing and business intelligence technology, audience data, advanced analytics, data science, visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company efforts to increase revenue, drive ratings, and enhance consumer engagement.
The Manager of Data Strategy & Analytics will work as both a strategic business partner and technical resource lead for internal stakeholders, collaborating to inform key business decisions and develop high-profile data solutions.
This person will direct analytical projects from the beginning stages of requirements gathering all the way through final product delivery. Thus, this role will require a strong analytical leader who is comfortable completing and overseeing technical work (such as writing and reviewing code) but who can also clearly communicate to senior stakeholders. He or she will be expected to present findings and be an influencer of the direction of data analytics throughout the company. This role will also have direct reports to manage, mentor and develop.
The Manager will supervise the connection and analysis of large, disparate data sets from a variety of sources in order to better understand viewers, increase consumer engagement, optimize ad placement, and improve marketing. This person will need both creativity and attention to detail as they envision and build data solutions that change the face of the TV industry.
1. Work with stakeholders to understand key business opportunities and translate those into a clear, actionable data strategy
2. Identify and select optimal data elements for specific business needs
3. Manage data projects from beginning to end, including gathering and articulating technical requirements and then playing an active role throughout the execution of those requirements
4. Strategically plan pipelines to centralize and connect disparate data sources
5. Work closely with the Data Technology team to extract, transform and load new data sources into Discovery’s central data repository for analytics
6. Direct the measurement and analysis data quality within Discovery’s central data repository for analytics
7. Clearly explain to technical and non-technical people the intricacies of new data sources and connections
8. Oversee data cleansing and preparation for analysis
9. Prescribe appropriate statistical models (regression techniques, classification models, supervised and unsupervised learning, etc.), including implementations on large data sets
10. Communicate the results of statistical models in clear business terms
11. Create repeatable processes to support similar business problems in the future
12. Stay current with new analytical tools and industry trends
Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (statistics, economics, computer science, etc.). Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum of 5-7 years proven business experience and technical expertise in data analytics
Experience with modern statistical learning methods (regression techniques, classification models, supervised and unsupervised learning, etc.)
Knowledge of statistical packages such as R or the Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, scikit-learn, etc.)
Experience with Amazon Web Services (RedShift, S3, EC2, EMR, etc.) preferred
Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
Knowledge of digital data technologies (DMPs, Google Analytics, digital pixel tracking, site tagging, etc.)
Familiarity with data visualization tools, like Tableau
General knowledge of or direct experience with the media industry
Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills
Excellent presentation skills -- ability to present complex information in a concise and compelling manner
Ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
Previous management experience of team members preferred
Must have legal right to work in the United States
Back to top