Manager - Business & Legal Affairs
This position can be based in Silver Spring, MD or Los Angeles, California.
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all legal matters related to the creation, acquisition, distribution and pre-broadcast review of all content used worldwide by DCL’s television and online networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of network matters such as production-related legal issues, insurance, and rights clearances.
Discovery Communications, LLC seeks a bright, highly motivated individual to assist with business negotiations and draft programming, talent and other contracts for Discovery’s networks, and provide production support including handling of clearances, releases, participant agreements and other related production matters.
1. Support deal negotiations for acquiring television programs, programming content, and other rights on an acquisition, co-production, and commission basis for various Discovery networks.
2. Draft development deals, production, co-production, talent, and acquisition agreements under manager supervision.
3. Analyze and summarize comments from opposing representation and propose solutions.
4. Draft claim summaries and letters, and administer title clearance process.
5. Administer and thoroughly coordinate the contract management process.
6. Manage talent option tracking database.
7. Assist in providing on-going business advice to internal clients concerning production, broadcast clearance, and other issues as needed.
8. Establish and maintain strong relationships with Discovery’s networks and other business units, Discovery’s producers and their representatives, and talent.
9. Attend key industry programming markets and events, as needed.
Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience required. J.D. not required.
Minimum one to two years of in-depth negotiating experience, preferably within the cable, media, or entertainment industries.
Legal writing, contract analysis, and negotiation skills required.
Working knowledge of the television business and general entertainment industry and/or paralegal experience helpful.
Strong working knowledge of all types of production, programming and talent deals desired.
Must be results-oriented and able to close deals quickly.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, highly organized, and able to work under tight timelines.
Must be self-motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
Candidate must be able to handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to strict deadlines.
Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications desirable
Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Back to top