Manager - Business & Legal Affairs
The Business & Legal Affairs department is responsible for all legal matters related to the production, acquisition and pre-broadcast review of all content distributed worldwide by DCL’s television networks. More specifically, this group negotiates and drafts acquisition, commission, co-production and talent agreements; reviews scripts and rough cuts of programs prior to broadcast in order to minimize legal exposure; analyzes media rights associated with all programming agreements and responds to usage requests made by the company’s many lines of businesses; and provides advice and counsel on a wide array of production-related, legal issues such as guild, insurance, and rights clearances.
Discovery Communications LLC seeks a bright, highly motivated individual to assist with business negotiations and draft contracts for Discovery Studios, the internal production unit of Discovery Communications, and provide production support including handling of clearances, releases, participant agreements and other related production matters primarily focused on non-scripted television programming.
1. Draft and negotiate a variety of production, co-production, license, distribution, acquisition, development, and rights deals, including above-the-line talent agreements and location, facilities, depiction, still photo, footage, and music rights agreements under manager supervision.
2. Analyze and summarize comments from opposing representation and propose solutions.
3. Draft claim summaries and letters, and administer title clearance process.
4. Review program rough and fine cuts for legal clearance purposes.
5. Administer and thoroughly coordinate all business issues, contracts and delivery of programs.
6. Assist in providing on-going business advice to internal clients concerning production, broadcast clearance and other issues as needed.
7. Establish and maintain strong relationships with DCL’s networks and other business units, and DCL’s producers outside producer’s and talent.
8. Attend key industry programming markets and events, as needed.
Qualified candidates must be members of the California and/or New York Bar(s), should possess excellent drafting and organizational skills and be polished and poised in communicating and presenting with and to executives, internal clients and the outside entertainment community.
Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
3 years of in-depth negotiating experience with a production company, studio, and/or television network.
Legal writing, contract analysis, and negotiation skills required.
Working knowledge of the television business and general entertainment industry.
Strong working knowledge of all types of production and programming deals.
Must be results-oriented and able to close deals quickly.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear and effective written and verbal communication skills.
Candidate must be extremely detail oriented and highly organized and able to work under tight timelines.
Must be self -motivated with demonstrated ability to take initiative, make firm decisions, and offer a high level of customer service.
Candidate must be able to handle a high volume of multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to strict deadlines.
Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and other software applications desirable
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
See Inside the Office of Discovery
As the world's #1 nonfiction media company, Discovery Communications fosters exploration and curiosity through its high quality television and online content, reaching more than 2 billion subscribers in over 220 countries and territories around the world. Comprised of more than 160 global television networks, Discovery counts brands like Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Investigation Discovery, and OWN in its family, and it strives to be a leading worldwide provider of educational tools and digital media services.
Back to top