Manager # Ad Sales Revenue Accounting
This individual will support the Ad Sales organization and operate as a strong member of the Accounting and Ad Sales team. The position will be responsible for leading the month-end accounting close and reporting of Ad Sales Revenue, related P&L and balance sheet accounts; ensuring SOX compliance and performance of controls. The individual will be expected to gain a strong understanding of the Discovery Ad Sales process, work collaboratively with Sales, Operations and Finance and proactively help to support the business. This individual will be tasked with relationship building and maintaining a close working relationship with the Ad Sales team.
1. Prepare, analyse, and record revenue and related expenses to the general ledger for month-end closing. Includes the recording of ad sales revenue, contra revenue, deferred revenue, barter, commissions, and bad debt reserve.
2. Prepare monthly B/S reconciliations and rollforwards to ensure general ledger account information is accurate, consistent, traceable, and auditable. Includes A/R allowance for doubtful accounts, audience delivery liability, sales commissions, volume incentives, A/R, deferred revenue, and intercompany for all entities.
3. Prepare post-close monthly reports and flux analysis in concert with FP&A staff for corporate and auditors.
4. Maintain compliance of SOX controls, policies, and evidence, including system controls for media system(s). Understand the process to ascertain whether the right controls are in place and operating effectively.
5. Prepare SEC disclosure work-papers and respond to inquiries from internal and external auditors.
6. Establish the Accounting team in the NY Ad Sales office; actively develop positive working relationships with all departments within the Sales organization.
7. Liase with the Finance team in monthly accounting, reporting and reconciliations.
8. Participate in continual process improvements, implementation of long term ad sales system solutions, report design, automation, review and implementation of industry best practices.
9. Partner with key stakeholders to understand, research, finalize, and document ad revenue accounting issues and policies. Assist with accounting memos to document significant transactions and company positions.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field
At least 5 years of public accounting or related corporate accounting experience in a publicly-traded company required
Experience in the media/entertainment industry, preferably direct work experience in an Ad Agency or Media company
CPA or equivalent strongly desired
Strong understanding of US GAAP, especially Revenue Recognition rules, and ability to perform technical research
Strong analytical, project management and organizational skills. Superior Excel and Word skills
Experience with SAP preferred
Motivated by challenging, dynamic and demanding environment. Demonstrated self-starter. Flexible and able to manage multiple and constantly changing priorities.
Proven ability to work effectively across multiple departments; actively build trusted working relationships and have a driving curiosity about Discovery and the evolving Media and Advertising industry
Critical thinker and strong problem solver with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to frame complex issues, articulate findings and present optimal solutions to all levels of the organization.
Proven attention-to-detail and delivery of results
Mature professional with a proven ability to build confidence and trust with internal and external constituencies.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States
Back to top