Events & Marketing Specialist
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.
This position is responsible for the development and implementation of Discovery Education Event plans for the Corporate Education Partnerships team. This encompasses all CEP events, including in-person events supporting student competitions, in-person educator & community events, virtual field trips, state & national conferences and corporate functions. The role of the Event and Marketing specialist is to enhance the Corporate Education Partnership program events by bringing awareness and engagement to the brand, implementing thoughtful and creative event strategy from conception to post-event analysis, and supporting a strong network of CEP partners.
1. Participate in all brainstorming and planning meetings with Account Teams to help develop event strategy
2. Develop and maintain all event and conference related documentation including creative briefs, RFPs, timelines, agendas, checklists, schedules, staff training, booth layout, etc.
a. Complete necessary paperwork for trade shows and workshops
3. Support webinar and event logistics, execution, set-up and follow-up activities
4. Serve as group talent liaison for events to determine talent options, availability, cost, and logistics
5. Work with designers and account teams to project manage all event collateral, including invitations, signage, and printed materials
a. Project management includes defining scope, milestones and timelines for deliverables, and approvals.
6. Coordinate with travel team and hotel/banquet staff to make all travel, lodging and facilities reservations; serve as primary POC for all event related travelers
7. Research, plan and prepare menus for catered events, from placing the order to confirming receipt upon day of event
8. Oversee research, develop presentations, and work with procurement specialist to select, order and ship premiums and supplies as necessary
9. Serve as primary liaison with event site logistics manager to determine event space, setup, A/V and other requirements
10. Serve as onsite primary POC for events; including but not limited to:
a. Photographer, videographer, A/V supplier, and catering manager
b. Coordinate onsite event setup and take-down
11. Develop budget forecasts, manage expenses, and negotiate contract terms for events and conferences
12. Coordinate with legal as needed on event contracts and event releases; secure and file all release forms from event participants, talent, etc.
13. Efficiently and effectively communicate with account teams to proactively share event plans, updates, post-event summary and analysis, including:
a. Follow-up with account stakeholders, including CEP project leads, clients, and field sales teams
1. Maintain and organize marketing and events data, including but not limited to:
a. Event calendars, budgets, event surveys, attendee lists, event related email communications and registration pages
2. Collaborate with marketing team to strategize and help promote awareness and engagement of Virtual Field Trips, in-person events, and educator community events
a. Align event promotion with integrated marketing campaign strategy where applicable via social media, email marketing, and digital media.
3. Improve current processes and procedures to assure optimal utilization of marketing and events initiatives by sharing event materials and best practices documentation
4. Prepare presentation materials to promote partnership programs at Discovery Education events
3-5 years experience in event planning and execution
Minimum Bachelor degree required
Self-starter with strong communication, analytical and interpersonal skills; comfortable working independently and with a team
Strong ability to multi-task
Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills along with strong attention to detail and organizational skills required
High-energy individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment
Strong work ethic with ability to work well with multiple deadlines and troubleshoot
Experience with planning and managing event budgets
Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
Willingness to learn new software systems/tools
Frequently assists in moving event set up/break down materials and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Back to top