Editor In Chief
We dare to act on our curiosity with an instinctual belief that wisdom is gained by experiencing, observing and exploring. Seeker is a digital network for a new generation of bright and curious minds, to share openly, evolve understanding, experiment often, and to concede that knowledge is fleeting. We build engaging, award-winning content in the realms of science, world and exploration for passionate audiences across the diverse digital landscape. Seeker is part of Discovery Digital Networks, a division of Discovery Communications. We are based in San Francisco, California.
About Discovery Digital Networks
Discovery Digital Networks is made up of Seeker and SourceFed Studios. With over 300 million monthly views, DDN is reaching young, influential audiences around the world through daily programming, weekly series, premium web-docs & live online events. Discovery Digital Networks is part of Discovery Communications, the world’s number one non-fiction media company.
We are Seekers – join us.
We are seeking an Editor-in-Chief based in San Francisco to be at the center of Seeker’s science, news and exploration website and publishing platforms. This position will play a key leadership role in the voice and editorial strategy for our owned & operated site as well as all distribution platforms (i.e. YouTube, Facebook, etc.). The EIC will oversee and lead a team of producers, writers and contributors to develop the editorial calendar and daily article & video content.
The ideal candidate is an experienced leader who excels at managing a creative team, sees opportunities to improve workflows and has an eye for editorial that would resonate with the Seeker audience.
This position is location in San Francisco, CA.
- Work with SVP Digital Creative and GM to set strategy and voice of Seeker.com and meet business goals
- Partner with Audience Development and Social Video teams to achieve web traffic goals and engagement
- Directly manage a staff of writers, producers, publishers to maintain day-to-day web operations
- Maintain high editorial standards and accuracy
- Assign and edit articles from staff writers and freelance writers as needed
- Create engaging digital experiences and products that delight our digital audience
- Manage vendor relationships
- Ensure 3rd party costs are tracked and provide monthly forecasts and annual budgets
- 8-10 years experience as a writer, content editor, or running a video content site
- Proven track record of growth in unique visitors, page views and overall audience engagement for web sites
- A robust network of editorial relationships across complimentary and competitive properties
Knowledge of SEO and social media best practices
- Experience with content partnerships, curation and linking
- Ability to manage a staff of both direct reports and centralized teams
- An undergraduate degree is preferred
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]
Back to top